It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2006, 09:44 AM   #1
(female)

amandab_nyc HB User
Househunting with a newborn

Hi - I am 5 months pregnant and my husband and I are wondering if we should move from the city to the burbs NOW or after the baby is 6 months old. I figured I'd post to this board since some of you may have experienced 1 vs the other. We don't want to leave our support network in the city, but we also fear househunting and moving with a 6 month old. What's better? Any thoughts or opinions welcome.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2006, 01:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rouge HB User
Re: Househunting with a newborn

I moved with a 9 month old because we wanted to get out of the city. I wish we would have done it before the baby came. It is really hard to move with a baby. 1) You just don't have the time anymore 2) You have tons more stuff to move.

I just moved again with a two year old which was worse than when he was 9 months old. He kept unpacking my boxes. We have been here for 3 months now and I still have boxes I need to unpack that are sitting in the basement.

6 months is also a big time for seperation anxiety. Meaning your baby may scream everytime you walk away from them to go to the other side of the room. You would have to get a sling and wear your baby to get the packing and stuff done. My sister moved with a 3 month old and did it that way. Just carried her DD in a sling. At 6 months they start to get heavy in that sling if you carry them for a long period. They want all of your attention so I think you would feel really frustrated in not being able to pack/unpack and give your baby the needed attention. Of course it can be done but I suggest doing it now.

Good luck and congrats.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2006, 04:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

I have a 10 month old, and we are currently moving to another home, and let me tell ya, it's super hard! Let alone finding the time to pack, but unpacking has been a nightmare. If you have the choice, move now. The burbs outside of NYC are great, that's where we live too!

Last edited by dizzygirl; 03-20-2006 at 04:28 PM.

Old 03-20-2006, 05:16 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

sem627 HB User

We just moved last month and I'm expecting #3 in May. Although it is exhausting packing and unpacking while pregnant, I am so glad we are going to be settled when this baby arrives. No matter how uncomfortable I am, I know it is MUCH easier to take of this baby while he is in me than out of me. The moving had it's challenges even with our 5 and 3 year olds around, but at least they are semi self-sufficient, a baby certainly is not! On the day we moved (a chilly 35 degrees and rainy....not usual weather in central Texas) I said several times to my husband if he could imagine doing this with an infant to also take care of. I've had people tell me they moved after the baby and still had boxes to unpack even months and months later. At least I got everything unpacked (expect for the baby's room). It's not decorated like I would want, but at least we are functioning and not living out of boxes. Sooo...as you can tell, my advice would be to move now before the baby arrives.

Good luck.

Old 03-21-2006, 10:41 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

In our area house prices growing like crazy. I was suggested to forget about househunting when I was pregnant 'cause it will be too much. By the time we actually bought we payed much more than we could of or we could of get more for the same price. My friend was buying house while she was prego and she won.

Old 03-21-2006, 12:57 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

sem627 HB User

Another thing to add to the increase of home prices is the interest rates. They are not getting lower, and won't. That also was a concern when we just bought. I was hesitant to buy the house we did end up buying because I thought it was too much for us. My husband's argument was that interest rates won't be getting any lower and why buy a house that we would want to move from again or grow out of in 5 years? He wanted to buy what we really wanted and planned to live in for many years now while the interest rates were still low. If we waited, we probably wouldn't have been able to afford this house with the increased interest rates. Just another thing to think about...

Closed Thread