It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2006, 11:08 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

daystar91 HB User
Teenagers, Sports, Weight lifting and Protein drinks

Hi,
My 14 year old will playing JV football this year..I found out from the school that it's manitory to do light weight lifting four times a week for football season..Also alot of boys at this age are taking like a protein drink..Could this be healthly for young children??I don't know how involve i really want my son to be in the protein drinks, i'm not at all fimiliar with them and what they could do to a young child..He wants me to purchase them for August when he starts football but i'm unsure about it..Any advice??I know this is going to be a problem with him if i don't purchase it, he's a sports nut and all the other kids are doing it but i like to know if it's going to be safe for him as well..He's a 6 foot tall kid and weighs 192 pounds but he's solid..
He's played many sports through out the years like four years of football, two years of basketball, soccer and he was undefeated in wrestling last year..The older he gets he seems to take the sports more serious..I think it's great but can this also become dangerous???Do the schools push these kids to hard with the sports??I was surprised that it was manitory to weight lift, i can see some type of physical exercise.

Old 03-21-2006, 05:57 PM   #2

jtm HB User
Re: Teenagers, Sports, Weight lifting and Protein drinks

It doesnt depend on his age necessarily. If hes 14 and 6' then he obviously has hit puberty and will probably not grow much taller. Everyones different, I started working out and drinking protein shakes at 15 and Im now 21 and totally fine.

I would recommend not getting the protein shakes that are already made (cans). I would suggest getting a powder mix that can make 15-20 shakes. Definetly go to your local GNC and talk to the guy there becuase there are so many different kinds of protein mixes. I myself have tried many different kinds, some work some dont, it depends on the person. I actually just bought a new mix a few weeks ago and have seen good results.

Protein shakes are not bad at all. Its just extra protein, something our bodies require alot of everyday.

Last edited by jtm; 03-21-2006 at 06:07 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2006, 09:21 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

daystar91 HB User

Is there a protien drink that has something in it that could eat away at your liver???How much weights is to much for a young boy??Someone told me that because his muscle aren't totally develope that he could tear a muscle..I just don't want him to do any physical damage to his body..

Old 03-23-2006, 02:21 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Willapp HB User

It's impossible to say how much is "too much" for any one person. I would just tell him to be careful and to start off gradually. Maybe talk to his sports coach and express your concerns that he doesn't overwork - ideally the coach would have some kind of qualification in weight training if he is going to be supervising this activity, so he should be in a position to monitor it. If he doesn't have a qualification I would be a bit more concerned, as it's easy to become obsessed with results at the risk of causing injury.

That said, if your child is 6' tall then I doubt he has much more growing to do, in which case he isn't likely to do much damage from weight training (if careful). It's only really a problem for developing children, when their bones etc are still growing and can sometimes be hampered by doing too much weight work.

Old 03-23-2006, 08:11 PM   #5

jtm HB User

If you over dose and take 2-4 times more than the suggested amount then your liver can be affected.

Its kinda like taking pain killers. Ibuprofen is a great way to relieve pain but if you take alot more than the suggested dosage it will also negatively impact your liver. This side effect applies to all pills and drugs.

I would suggest searching online for protein calculators. They ask for height and weight and will total the amount of daily protein needed for athletes like your son. I believe age is not a factor in this calculation which implies that age doesnt matter. I mean your son is 14 and 6 foot tall. I am 5'9" at age 21 and I took shakes and started working out at 15, with no ill effects.

Last edited by jtm; 03-23-2006 at 08:11 PM.

Old 03-24-2006, 11:32 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

daystar91 HB User

Thanks for your replies..I'm going to check the web for a protein calculator..I will discuss this also with his coach when he starts JV..Sometimes i'm not that sure about taking advice from a coach i'd like to get other thoughts on this matter..This is only because when my son was on a little loop football team there was a weight limit and they really wanted him to play so they told him that he could loose 30 pounds by eating yogurt and drinking alot of water..Now my son is 6 foot tall and weighs 192 but he's solid there's no fat on him...Where was he going to loose thirty pounds, i was furious that they would even give him the idea..He fought with me and said he could loose the weight just so he could play football..I stuck with it and said absolutely no..Loosing that much weight i thought would make him sick..To prove it to him i even took him to the doctors and they told him that loosing that much weight for him would be unhealthy for him..So that year he did not play, he hated me but he got over it..
I just want to make sure he doesn't over do exercises or the drinks..He's still my baby and i just want to make sure he's safe..You hear about all these healthy atheltic kids dying..It just makes me nervous, maybe i worry to much..Thanks again for your info..

Old 04-02-2006, 12:07 AM   #7
(male)

npease HB User

The protien shakes are fine as long as he don't overdue it. If you are really worried about them he could get extra protien from reall food such as low fat milk egg whites and skinless chicken breasts.

Closed Thread