It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2006, 09:38 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

alleycat2 HB User
needs advice what can we do?

My sister has problems keeping her children in line and she plays favorites, so one of her kids gets away with pretty much everything! She asks us for advice and we tell her stop playing favorites, follow through with punishments, and don't let them treate you or talk direspectfull too you. When the kids come over to someone elses house it is embarrising how awful , rude and direspectfull they act. When they come to my house or any of my other sibling's homes or my parent's home we try to keep them in line, but once they go back to their mother's they go right back to being terrible. These are teenagers who act like 10 year olds! My sister's favorite has more things then we ever had as children like t'vs, cell phones, dvd players, new fancy clothes and so on. One of the kids told her mother her life is horrible and she is the whole reason for it. The kids are not often made responsible for anything they do and she is always cleaning up after their messes and what really gets me is they blame everything they do wrong on others. For example they shoplifted and said it was their mom's fault because if she had bought it for them they wouldn't have to steal it. You can catch them in the act and confront them and they will deny everything totally lying straight to youre face while looking right at you. I heard serial killers start out like that. They seem to not know right from wrong, don't feel sorry for anything they have done or take resposibiltiy for it and that is how at least 2 of her kids act. What do we do as Aunts, Uncles and Grandparents when she asks for help with the kids?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2006, 06:35 PM   #2

flyb_2 HB User
Re: needs advice what can we do?

I had a friend with children like that as well. It is very frustrating and difficult to see the disrespect and possible development of future problems. You seem to have a good handle on what some of the issues are. Try to take the opportunity with her to sit down(without the kids around) and explain to her what the issues are. She obviously knows there is trouble or she wouldn't be asking for help. Perhaps she needs help through counseling (individual or family) sometimes having a mediator there when things are discussed and reconfigured can help keep the situation from becoming a battlefield. Good luck!!

Closed Thread