It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2006, 05:08 PM   #1
(female)

rpkids HB User
7-Year Old Lieing

My seven year old son tests me from time to time. Overall he is a great kid and has a great heart. I have noticed that he has been lieing; and these are probably white lies and I know these are triggers for bigger things. The lies are usually about why he forgot homework, or why he lost something.

For those mothers/fathers that have dealt with this issue, can you give me some tips.

Old 03-27-2006, 05:50 PM   #2

flyb_2 HB User
Lightbulb Re: 7-Year Old Lieing

Just my opinion...Make sure that the repercussions for the lie are greater than the punishment for what was lied about. For example: If you told him no tv if you don't finish your homework then, if he lies says it's done but hasn't finished it, then there should be a punishment of perhaps two nights with no tv. Does this make sense? That is one thing I have tried and used with my two kids. Tell the truth(even if you know you will get into trouble) because the trouble you will be in when(not IF) I find out your lying will be twice as harsh. I find that I ask the question I want answered and give them the opportunity to tell the truth. If I wonder if it is the truth I remind them of our "policy" and ask them again as a last chance to tell the truth without extra punishment. Usually, when they are reminded that their punishment could be much worse they 'fess up. As they have grown(12 and 9) they have learned that telling the truth works much better. It may take a bit to break the habit, because right now, your child feels like the situation is working to his benefit. Once he finds out differently, he may tend to change his tune. Good luck!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2006, 06:49 PM   #3
(female)

rpkids HB User
Re: 7-Year Old Lieing

Flyb2 - thanks SO much, you have given me such important pointers - I truly appreciate it. Parenting is no easy task. Good luck with your two as well :-). And just tonight I really doubted an answer he gave me, and I hate to be in that situation.

Peace.... thanks again!

Closed Thread