It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2006, 10:40 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User
Question special device which is not allow 3 y old open the door

I am using special handle which is not allowed my 3 y old to open the door from inside and it seems fine. Our relative sayed that she should be able freely walk at night. I am afraid that she can fall on stairs ( she can already remove gates) or do something else.
Is it a problem?

Old 04-19-2006, 11:39 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User
Re: special device which is not allow 3 y old open the door

How does she go to the bathroom at night if she can't get out of her room? At 3yrs of age I'm sure she can go up and down the stairs already - why the gate? Am I missing something here?

Last edited by PinkPiglet; 04-19-2006 at 11:40 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2006, 12:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

She is still not toilet trained, also she has potty in her room, but she is going in her diaper. I would not want her to use stairs in dark or do something else.

Old 04-19-2006, 01:27 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User

If she can't open that door though, in a fire situation she couldn't get out either. I'm thinking of it as a safety concern myself.

Old 04-19-2006, 01:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

Could you put a gate across the stairs at night? We have one on our steps that we keep up at all times. Other option would be a gate across her doorway, that way she's not wandering around the house at night. We use gates on the bedroom doors to keep the dog out of our bedrooms when we're gone during the day, but otherwise at night all the doors are open, no gates. Just the one at the top of the stairs.

Old 04-19-2006, 02:03 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

She is strong enough to remove the gate if she pushes real hard. We always near by, somebody will help her in case of fire.

Old 04-19-2006, 02:15 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

The gate we have on our stairs is actually attached to the frame and is pretty heavy duty. DH's boss had a bilevel house and had this for his kids and he gave it to us. So what if we have extra holes in the woodwork -- better than having ds take a header down the steps.

One of the most interesting methods of keeping kids contained was DH's former barber. They actually put a screendoor in the door frame of her daughter's room - -that way they could see her and hear her at night, but she wouldn't wander out.

Old 04-19-2006, 03:31 PM   #8
(female)

angelique5 HB User

I think different parents view can view different ages very...differently...

to me... 3 is very "big"... my son is 3... has free range...his room is actually the closest to the stairs, and he's never ever fallen down.... I personally, would be more worried about what trouble he could get into if i locked him in his room...lol

I guess, I would ask, does it seem to have any affect on her...does she seem traumatized by not being able to get out of her room?? that can be very scary to some children....

Old 04-19-2006, 05:46 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

to me she seems ok with it, unless we put her there intentionally when she has tantrums.

Old 04-19-2006, 06:18 PM   #10
(female)

angelique5 HB User

when it comes down to it... you're the parents and you have to decide what you think is best for your child... even if friends or relatives don't always understand your methods....

Old 04-21-2006, 05:47 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User

I would keep using the gate and put a nightlight in the hall so that she can see where she is going in the dark. Do you have a lot of problems with her waking up and walking around in the middle of the night? I would only lock my kid in the room in extreme measures like if they were waking up 30 times a night and disrupting everyone. I know you worry about safety of the stairs, but the safety of being stuck in the room in an emergency is greater in my opinion.

Old 04-27-2006, 09:13 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User

We have a doorknob cover on my 2 year old's door. He is a night wanderer and a climber and I fear he will hurt himself night wandering. The thing is, his room is right next to ours, and he can open the doorknob cover. It takes alot of jiggling and racket to do it and it makes enough noise to stir me from sleep if I hear him trying to get out. I have also taught him to knock on his door and I'll come get him.

I personally don't have any problem with it (apparently) because I believe it keeps the safety and well being of the child in mind. I don't think it's cruel and he doesn't seem the least bit traumatized by it.

There is a smoke detector in the corner between our room and his, so it would definitely wake us in time to remove him.

We have a one level apartment, but it's old and the set up is not conducive to baby gates. There just isn't anywhere to put one in the hallway because of the layout of the doors, and even if there was, he too can push them down. I have nightmares of him sneaking out of his room, climbing, and seriously hurting himself.

I am a light sleeper, so the doorknob cover and the knocking allows me to rouse enough to get him before he gets out.

It's a personal call and I believe you have your child's best interest at heart.
DD born 3/24/2005

Old 04-27-2006, 09:22 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

That what I have door knob and if she cries we hear it and go to her room. I am afraid of her wondering at night, he can get herself in bigger trouble.

Closed Thread