It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2006, 06:43 PM   #1
(female)

LeesGirl HB User
18 month old Sleep Habits

Hello all,
I need some advice. I have always rocked/bounced/swayed my daughter to sleep for as long as I could remember. I could never before do the "cry it out" method and when I did finally try it at 10 months old, she cried so hard twice that she vomited allll over the place. Not my style.
I also work days and do not want our night times or weekend nap times to be a miserable experience.
A couple of weeks ago, I tried the usual routine: movie and milk, brush teeth, read a book, and rock for just a couple of songs... Then I put her in her crib and she didn't cry. It was amazing! But...I couldn't leave her room. So I stayed by her crib until she fell asleep. It took 1 hour 10 min the first night, 40 min the second, 30 the third, fourth and fifth. It really wasn't bad at all..
Then one night I had something to do and my husband had to put her to sleep. He said she cried uncontrollably so he took her out of her crib and rocked her! Now, ever since, she has been fighting me and I ended up rocking her. Now, it's even to a point that she wants to be rocked, then wants her crib, then rocked...but then still even fights the rocking. It's so hard. She doesn't know what she wants.
I know she is going through that stage of tantrums, too, and not sure if she is not feeling well today (teeth? ears?)
Any suggestions. I really want to have a pleasant sleeptime with her (naps and bedtime). She is such a joy... and along with my husband, the love of my life
I'd really appreciate any suggestions.
Thank you!
Born: 10/23/04 10:41pm
6 pounds 8 ounces
17.5 inches long

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2006, 09:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rouge HB User
Re: 18 month old Sleep Habits

Maybe, if you are comfortable, you could just sit by her crib again and pat her back until she falls asleep. She may cry but I would not leave the room and let her cry by herself. I also would not pick her up, just pat her back until she falls asleep. It could be a long time before she does, but keep going.

Anyway, that's my advice. You should do what is comfortable for you and your family.

Old 05-07-2006, 04:42 AM   #3
(female)

LeesGirl HB User

I could...but she doesn't lay down when she is that worked up...so that's hard.
I just hope this is a phase...and a short one at that! ugh..we'll see.
Thanks.
6 pounds 8 ounces
17.5 inches long

Old 05-07-2006, 09:27 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

~PJ~ HB User

LOL we've both tried this at the same time!
My bedtime routine with Gabby is a bit different but it works for us.... so far.
I let her take a bottle of milk to bed BAD I know but she drinks it all so it's not sat in her mouth for ages. The 1st night with Gabby took 1/2 hour of me laying her back down and patting her back then another 15mins of sitting next to the cot "shhhh"ing her. Next night she stayed laying down!! And I sat by her cot shhhing her for about 20mins, Now after 2 weeks of sitting with her I can finally put her in bed with her milk and leave the room
I work 3 evenings a week so 1st week dh (who I also love dearly but could strangle sometimes LOL) lets her fall asleep on the couch cause he was watching a show OMG could have died because we were straight back to square 1. I just had to start all over from the beginning, Cuddling her with her milk till she was almost asleep then laying her down in her cot everytime she stood up I would lay her back down and rub her back. Luckily when she wakes up in the night she goes straight back over in a few mins with the back rubbing. The only problem I have is she usually wakes up soaked through, I even started using nappies 2 sizes up but they still don't do the trick all the time.
So don't think I've helped much lol but just to let ya know that your not the only one who's been through the tough it out routine latley

Old 05-07-2006, 05:40 PM   #5
(female)

LeesGirl HB User

Hi there!
Thanks for replying! Good to hear from you again!
Alexa woke up with a runny nose..and let's just say it was alll over her face.. ick... Poor little thing. Maybe that is why she has been so fussy and fighting it? Getting sick and teething those molars.
I ended up rocking her tonight and luckily she didn't fight me. She didn't even budge or fuss... she put her head down and was out in about 2 minutes! Amazing. I just hope we have a good night since she is so stuffy.. I Hope it doesn't settle in her ears...

I think when Alexa is feeling better I just have to be more firm with the crying thing. I'm such a sap. I just can't stand that devastated look and the horrible screaming..you know? We'll see how I'm feeling when she's better. You might remember that I'm a teacher and have the summer off, so I'll be able to get some consistency for naps and bedtime. My mother in law is amazing, though. I'm so lucky. She is consistent with her, but Alexa is just different for different people...most babies are.

Let me know how Gabby is doing. I'll be thinking of you! Good luck!
Andrea
6 pounds 8 ounces
17.5 inches long

Old 05-07-2006, 05:42 PM   #6
(female)

LeesGirl HB User

OH...and I used to have a problem with her leaking when she was younger (from all the drinking formula, etc). Where are you from again? Not sure if they have them where you are, but here they have something called "Diaper Doubles" and it really helped. They are almost like a huge maxi pad! ahhaha... try them if you can find them
6 pounds 8 ounces
17.5 inches long

Closed Thread