It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2006, 10:38 AM   #1
(female)

sandi817 HB User
Help with discipline

I am in need of some advice on how to discipline a 10 year old boy for his actions when he has been told not to do something and then repeats the same bad behavior after learning of the conseqeunce the first time. I have taken away his most favorite toys and games, but am at a loss if he even understands how serious his action was. I guess to understand I should explain the he thinks it is ok to bat rocks around and has hit another child in the face and to my dismay has done it a 2nd time!!! He just doesn't get how serious this is and how much he could of cost this family had this child been seriously hurt..please help because I don't know what to do

Old 06-10-2006, 05:31 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
Re: Help with discipline

If your son still acts up and does the same things you tell him not to do, I think it's time to start spanking him. Tell him once not to do something. if he does it again, give him a warning. You say that taking away toys and games does has no effect on his behavior, so it's pretty apparent that he doesn't think what he's doing is wrong and that you aren't getting through to him. When all else fails, I strongly suggest giving him a spanking when he does wrong. Honestly, words mean very little to kids up until they reach the age of 18...and may times, they need to be shown that something is wrong with a firm slap on the behind. If he gets embarrassed about it, then that's fine - sometimes kids learn to stop being little terrors when they get embarrassed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2006, 01:55 PM   #3
(female)

InsaneMom HB User
Re: Help with discipline

My almost 10 yr old daughter does things whenever she wants and does not even consider the consequences.. The only thing that I have found to help with the situation is to remover her from where it is happening.. If it is at school there isn't much you can do (and the school should be taking care of it, not that you shouldn't do something also), but if it is at home.. You make it where he can't be around the rocks. My daughter loves to go outside and that is a HUGE punishment if i don't let her go out. You have to figure out what he prizes most and do that. If it is his friends.. don't let him play with them, until he can tell you what he did wrong and why it was wrong. He is old enough to know all the answers to those questions or to figure them out anyway. He is old enough to understand why it is wrong and to stop his own actions.

The only other thing I can suggest is to sit him down and have a really long talk about what could happen, and give him the worst case scenario including how it would affect your family and the other child's. Make sure to tell him that a rock hitting the right part of the face "could" end in death. My daughter had a problem with her anger for a while and she would throw other kids on the floor. I had to lay it all out for her to realize what it would do to us and the other kid's family before she would finally connect the dots so to speak and stop doing it.

Good luck and I hope you can get this under control.

Closed Thread