It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2006, 09:39 PM   #1
(female)

Audrey820 HB User
My nephew's sleep problems

Hey. I'm writing today about my nephew and his sleep issues. He's 20 months old now. Very intelligent and curious.

But he has horrible issues with falling asleep and lately with staying asleep. He's never been an easy baby to put to sleep. So we started to put him in his bed and let him cry himself to sleep. That worked until he learned to climb out of his bed. Big issue. So now every night my sister(his mom) or I has to lay with him in her bed for anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour to get him to sleep. He lays there and tosses and turns and tries to talk to you. He tries to get out of bed, sometimes he hits. You have to lay there and ignore him while pretending to sleep until he rolls over and falls asleep. It's frustrating, but we're used to that.

For the last week or so he's been waking up between midnight and 3 am. He cries hysterically to the point of gasping for breath. And we have no idea why. He'll last that way for 30 minutes to an hour. He only stops crying if you stand up and hold him. I'm getting scared for him. I don't want for him to be scared of sleep so much. I don't know if he's having bad dreams or what. But he's just having so many difficulties sleeping.

My mom thinks it's because he doesn't have a special blanket or stuffed animal and my sister has had him off the bottle and pacifier for nearly a year now. I just don't know.

Do any of you have any advice about what can help him fall asleep easier or any ideas about why he's been waking up like this lately? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2006, 02:21 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

NitroChic HB User
Re: My nephew's sleep problems

Is it only at night that he has these problems? Does your nephew take naps during the day? Does he have a regular routine including physical activity during the day? It's hard to define the issue without a bit more information.

Old 06-15-2006, 12:53 PM   #3
(female)

jaime b HB User
My son is alittle older (23 months)

and I can tell you that he is teething....(1st molars on top and bottom and "I" teeth on top). Could he be getting some teeth in, I wonder. If not that then I will throw something else out. I have noticed that Lance has been going through some separation anxiety lately. I have to leave his door open at night until he falls asleep. And he cries when I drop him off at daycare. It is either that or he is afraid of the dark. We do shut his door when he is asleep. Since we have been leaving his door cracked, no problems. He is still in a crib. God only knows what is going to happen when we go to a toddler bed.....

I hope this helps you. It may not, but it is just a thought!

Good luck!

Jaime

Closed Thread