It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2006, 08:10 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User
Boys will be boys

This may seem silly to some of you, but I'm just looking for a little reassurance...

Obviously I am a woman and I never grew up with any brothers or exposure to young boys, so will those of you who have/had a 3 year old boy put my mind at ease. DS two best friends are girls. He does have boy friends at school, but he has the most play dates with the girls so that's mostly when I see his interactions. I notice that he is more aggressive than them, more physical and just tends to be a little rough (though I don't think he means to be) He is a very sweet boy and a good kid. I always remind him to be gentle, and to take it easy, but I don't want to deny him his normal "boy" personality. Is this all normal? Sometimes I feel like the other moms (who are friends of mine) kinda look at me like why is your child like that as they only have girls who are very sweet and cuddly.

Old 06-15-2006, 09:46 AM   #2

KritterKeeper HB User
Talking Re: Boys will be boys

Your title answwers your own question. Boys WILL be boys. I don't care what you read or who's done what "research" there IS a difference between boys and girls. There's also differences between boys and boys. I do think boys in general are a bit rougher than girls--just nature of the beast so to speak. I often found parents of only girls to be lofty about their expectations of behavior. Obviously you need to amke sure your sond minds his manners but that goes for ALL children. We would not allow a child of either sex to behave inappropriately just because one is a girl and another a boy. It's never too early to teach him how to behave around the ladies!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2006, 10:49 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

NitroChic HB User
Re: Boys will be boys

Kritter....I think you are right. I have 3 girls 17-21-24. Now I have a grandson.. I am LOST......I have no ides what I am doing.. I am not parenting him, but when I do spend time with him I can't understand the difference....There must be a fine balance between raising a considerate kind son, and raising a victim....Im searching.

Old 06-19-2006, 07:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

pinkie1 HB User
Re: Boys will be boys

Kiera- I also have a 3 yo son, and I never grew up with any boys in the family. My son does play a lot with girls at our church nursery, and they are in general, gentle by nature. I put my son in some toddler classes with other kids his age and I noticed the boys are more active and rough than the girls.

I think also that the way the parents handles the child also makes a difference. Ever since DS was about 6 months old, we tossed his up in the air, bounced him around, etc. That's the way my DH and I are. My sister, who is married to my DH brother, are very gentle quiet people. They adopted a boy who is also 3 yo. My nephew can not handle being thrown up in the air. My husband did it once and that was the last time. It literally FREAKED him out! because they never did that. He stumbles alittle and he cries like his leg was torn off. Now, him being adopted may be a factor, but I don't think that much. They got him when he was 4 months old.

DH and I told our son that he can play "rough" only with grown men and older boys, but he needs to ask first. Playing rough is a no-no with girls and moms.

Basically, boys will be boys. From what you've described, your son seems like a normal 3 year old boy.

Closed Thread