It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2006, 10:33 PM   #1
(female)

SammyHammy HB User
Bedtime battles with my 2 1/2 year old

I have a two year old son who never wants to sleep in his own bed. Every night he has to sleep with me and my husband. I've tried almost everything. I am the one who usually puts him to bed. We start out with brushing his teeth, then a story and then I tuck him in bed. He seems fine at this point, but when I leave the room, he gets out of bed after about 5 minutes and comes to me. He then makes up any excuse to stay up. I've tried to make him stay in his room but he ends up screaming and banging on his door for over an hour. I've also tried to keep placing him back in his bed when he gets up but that goes on and on for over an hour as well. He has a night light in his room so its not completely dark. On the rare occasions he's stayed in his bed to sleep, we leave little surprises under his pillow as a reward for staying the whole night in his bed. (This worked great for my first son) I'm not sure what to do for him and I can't take sleeping with him anymore, he won't stop hogging the bed. I recently had him sleeping about half the night in his room until I had guests come to stay for three weeks, now he is back to square one. Any help would be greatly apprecited!

Old 06-19-2006, 08:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

pinkie1 HB User
Re: Bedtime battles with my 2 1/2 year old

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyHammy
I can't take sleeping with him anymore
How often does he end up sleeping with you? I would stop giving in. I know that would be hard, but each time you give in- he's won that battle. The next time he screams and bangs on the door, I would tell him that he will not sleep in your bed, no matter how much he cries. Then stick to it.

That's what I have to offer, not sure if it's good advise b/c I'm no expert. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2006, 11:42 AM   #3
(female)

TwinMom04 HB User
Re: Bedtime battles with my 2 1/2 year old

My twins are only 21 months and still share a crib so I don't have any expierence with this personally but my niece used to so this to my brother and sister in law and they would tell her she could sleep in their room but not there bed. She would bring in her pillow and blanket and sleep on the floor next to the bed. My brother said this went on for 4 nights before she realized it was more comfy in her own bed (she was 4 at the time). I think with your son being 2 1/2 I think it might be more of a seperation issue for him so I'd try to keep reassuring him. Have you asked him what he is afraid of or why he doesn't want to sleep in his own bed? I'm not looking forward to it x2 that's for sure. Good luck!

Closed Thread