It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2006, 04:20 PM   #1
(female)

Max'sMom HB User
Question to those of you who had to carry big babies

Hi,

Did any of you who had big babies experience pins and needles in your arms from picking up and carrying your baby? My son is ten months old and now weighs over twenty pounds. I think I am finding it a challenge to pick him up and carry him. For the last month and a half, my hands have been getting pins and needles and I bet that it is from carrying him up stairs and picking him up to put him in the high chair and so forth.

What did you do to fix this?

I have a carrier that I use sometimes outside, but in the home, I just don't think it would be practical putting him in it. He is very active and I would constantly be putting even more strain on my hands putting him in and taking him out. I think the strain is mostly unavoidable, because at this point it is not that I carry him around that much -- he crawls and cruises and is super active on the floor most of the time. I just carry him up and down stairs and pick him up to change his diaper or put him in his high chair.

But the pins and needles are really uncomfortable, so I hope you can offer tips.
Thanks!
MM

Old 07-28-2006, 09:46 PM   #2
(female)

Liz Cook HB User
Re: Question to those of you who had to carry big babies

i dont know if you will get back to read this since it is a late post but!!

during two of my three pregnancies i developed carpal tunnel syndrome from nerve impingment from fluid retention and from sleeping badly on my wrists. i know it might sound silly but my doctor told me to wear wrist braces (the large over the thumb jobbies that you can get at your local pharmacy aisle at your "super store") and that helped a quite a bit...

my almost 5 month old is almost 20 lbs so i have been having a harder time with him. my first son grew alot slower... but the wrist braces are worth a try and not too expensive if this is still a problem for you.

all else fails call the doctor! they might have some more tricks up their sleeves!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2006, 10:32 AM   #3
(female)

Max'sMom HB User
Re: Question to those of you who had to carry big babies

Thanks so much-- I will try that. I have some braces from a few years back when I hurt my wrists typing too much.

Closed Thread