It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2006, 10:53 AM   #1
(female)

suthrngrace HB User
How to talk to 4 year old about predators

Ok, here's the deal. I have a four year old, who sees no one as a stranger. He is very social and talks to everyone. We have just been notified that a registered sex offender (of young boys) has moved in two houses away. As if that is not bad enough after checking the registry I found that there are 34 predators living all around the school he will be attending for Kindergarten. How do I talk to my child about this? How do I warn him without making him fearful? I wish they would just keep the freaks behind bars!!

Old 07-11-2006, 01:54 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
Re: How to talk to 4 year old about predators

Considering your son has no problem talking to people he doesn't know, I tihnk the only way you will be able to get him to understand the dangers of these predators is to scare him. You need to explain to him that some strangers may want to cause him harm - don't freak him out too much, but tell it to him in a way he will understand that doesn't involve tremendous sugar-coating. Have you tried talking to him before about "stranger danger" and the likes?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2006, 11:40 AM   #3
(female)

InsaneMom HB User
Re: How to talk to 4 year old about predators

Make sure you ask him what his definition of a "stranger" is. My youngest dd was like this also. It took me a very long time to get her to realize that anyone she didn't know was a stranger. After learning about "stranger danger" at Pre-K she thought that strangers were horrible monsters or even anliens from outter space.. I know it sounds funny but she couldn't imagine anyone that looked like everyone else could do any harm to another person.
I found that I finally told her that anyone that I hadn't told her she can trust (even if we have talked to them before) is a stranger. I told her the same things can happen to her that were told with 'stranger danger' like she can be taken away and hurt.

I am not sure that this will help you but remember to ask casually "Can you point out a stranger to me" when you are out at the store or the park or where ever you are. You might be surprised by the answer even if you are the one that who has told him what a stranger is.

Closed Thread