It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2006, 07:41 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

shelliam HB User
Holding out for junkfood

Hi everyone,
I have a question. DD is 13 months and eats at least twice as much at my almost 3 y/o. I have noticed that he is starting to hold out for junkfood. I have cutback considerably since realizing this. I am allowing one treat per day and am wondering the right way to approach this. I am still overweight but have lost almost 70 lbs. I came from a family of clean plate club and can't have any ice cream until you eat your entire dinner Oh and juice is good for you have more, kind of family.

I know he has a sweet tooth just like his mom and would like to approach this in a positive way. I try to teach him healthy and junk and sometimes it seems to work. This evening I had a craisin trail mix and I gave him a couple pieces and he gave me back the chocolate chip and says it's not healthy mom, then I ate it .

I don't want him to have eating issues when he gets older or spend his life obsessing over every calorie.
Any advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2006, 10:36 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Fireball76 HB User
Re: Holding out for junkfood

My ex is kind of compulsive about eating healthy and working out (he works out 2x a day, everyday until he's in constant pain). To the point where it's unhealthy.
I have two boys, 5 and 2. I don't want them to get this same unhealthy aspect and I saw it starting to happen rather quickly. My 5 year old would come home from his dad's telling me that I shouldn't drink pop because it makes you fat. And you can't eat any fast food for the same reason. Now at my house, we eat most meals at home and the kids never get pop. I was going to get the boys Happy Meals one day as a treat and my five year old had a fit! Because he didn't want to get fat when he grew up.

So...I explained to him that when anyone eats only one thing it's unhealthy, doesn't matter if it's salads, fruits, McD's or candy. You need to eat a little of everything. Because you need different things from each kind of food. He asked a few questions, but he got the idea pretty quick. So, now when we have a treat he doesn't get upset.
He doesn't understand the word "moderation" but he can grasp the idea. Sounds like your 3yr old would do the same.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2006, 02:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

My dd likes McD a lot. I have relatives who said that better not giving her a habit of non-healthy eating and I kind of agree with it. My friends son likes McD and Burger KIng and he is heavy, she thinks it is OK.

Old 08-09-2006, 10:39 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Altson HB User

We were headed down that path. Here's what I came up with. For Miss Drue (17 mos), since she obviously can't choose, I keep all her stuff just the healthy. If she doesn't want it, then I just take it away, get her down from the highchair, and that's the end of it.

The big kids get to go with me or write down on the list the snack of their choice. I shop every two weeks. They can choose whatever they want and I don't say word one about it. I pick all the other meals/snacks and make them as healthy as possible.

Example, John may choose Gushers (look close, they may have waved a grape over it to include some fruit). He can then share with his sisters if he'd like. He could eat all six pouches in one day or he can spread it out over the two weeks, up to him. But, once the snack is gone, it's gone until the next shopping trip. Maddy might choose a 6-pack of Soda (no caffeine though, I don't budge on that) or Kool-Aid or something.

I allow them to have however many of the healthy snacks they want during the two weeks, fruit, nuts, veggies, etc.

It works well for our family. We eat every dinner together at home or out at games/practices, etc. (family rule no matter what activities are going on). We go out maybe once or twice a month, simply because it's difficult to take the baby and getting to be very expensive for a family of 6!

They're allowed to choose whatever they want, dessert too, when we go out. When we go camping, they get whatever as well.

Oftentimes now, they'll choose a healthy thing before they go for junk.

Me - I still crave the peanut butter cups and chips!!!

Closed Thread