It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2006, 05:15 PM   #1
(female)

JenniferLPilg66 HB User
Exclamation Potty training tricks

I am trying to potty train my 22 month old daughter, Ashlyn......she potties but its kinda hard sometimes. Does anyone know any Tricks that helped make it easier?? Also she has to have her sippycup of milk at night to go to sleep, and i know she'll never be fully potty-trained with all the milk she drinks at night....is there any good way to get her off of it just for the night?? We actually have her ti where we tuck her in her toddler bed, give her kisses and she goes to bed by herself so that kinda makes it harder without the milk. Need some advice please!!!

Jennifer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2006, 09:36 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Fireball76 HB User
Re: Potty training tricks

You could try giving her a little less milk over a period of time. Eventually it'll be next to nothing and should cause a problem. They do make the underwear for kids who wet the bed that look like regular ones, but I don't know if they're small enough for a two year old to wear.
At 22 months interest in the potty is good, so that she's doing it sometimes is great! Each baby is different, she may all of a sudden catch on she may take a while. It's one of those things you can't rush.
Is she wearing diapers? Pull Ups? Underwear? If she's in diapers or pull ups, she won't feel "uncomfortable" when she does have an accident. You could try putting her in underwear during the day when you are close to the potty. Then if she does have a slip up, she'll feel the wetness and it may make her want to go on the potty more.

(I had to do this with my son, he would ask me to put a diaper on him, he had a potty aversion...So that was my signal to have him sit until he went)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2006, 11:47 PM   #3
(female)

JenniferLPilg66 HB User

Thats a good idea, thanks for replying!! I have some of those cloth training pants (not the kind with the plastic, just cotton) and its just thicker padding through there, i could try those on her and if she has an accident she will definitely get grossed out and want to go lol.I also figured out one more helpful thing today. Reverse psychology......I'll ask her if she needs to potty and her answer to EVERYTHING is nope...) so when i asked her today and she said nope i said well that's OK because i wont let you go to the potty anyway because i said no....then she was interested in it and i told her nope one more time till she almost threw a fit to go and she did it......also Ive been using the toilet paper and flushing for a "treat" if she potties. I'll let her wipe herself(of course i do it after she does to make sure she got it all lol) then I'll let her flush the toilet but ONLY if she potties....that's kinda working well. Shes not too interested in pulling up her own pull-ups. She wears diapers AND pull-ups. On the days shes not in the mood to potty at all i use diapers cuz pull-ups are sooo expensive. well thanks for the advice I'm surely gonna try it!!

Jennifer

Last edited by JenniferLPilg66; 07-27-2006 at 11:49 PM.

Old 07-28-2006, 02:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

Using cotton pants doesn't work for me. My 3.5 dd just take them out and ask for another one after an accident. If I don't put it on soon enough she would just do it on the floor. She is the only one who is not potty trained in daycare it is painful topic for me.

Old 07-28-2006, 10:58 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Fireball76 HB User

galinaqt....I wouldn't worry too much, children learn at their own pace. Don't take it personally. It's not a reflection on you as a parent if your child develops later.
My oldest son was over three when he trained too. We had to basically put a portable potty in the living room, have him sit (easier than teaching him to aim right off the bat) and we'd put in a movie. And give him lots to drink!! He was trying to not go because it felt different than having a diaper on. Once he got used to that it wasn't so bad. The first BM on the potty. Only took one and he was hooked on the potty for that. But getting him to sit and relax that first time was something else, I was practiacally holding him to the seat. But once he went! Wow! It was the coolest thing to do!

Do you have any other children? If you have older, already potty trained kids you might want to make it sound like a great thing to do. Like look at your big sister using the potty. Want to be like sis?

Have you tried a reward system? Since she seems to understand the mechanics of it, it might work for her. Pick a favorite thing of hers, could be a snack type thing like M&Ms, she gets to have some only if she potties. Or could be a favorite movie she wants to watch. She can't watch it that day if she doesn't potty. The big trick is...no M&Ms or no movie with out the potty.
I saw in a different post that your daughter likes McD's. That would be a good treat. Not every day of course, but set up a chart or calendar in the bathroom and if she potties every day for a week, get her a treat from McDs.

Last edited by Fireball76; 07-28-2006 at 11:01 PM.

Old 07-29-2006, 11:47 PM   #6
(female)

JenniferLPilg66 HB User

Ok I got her the cloth training pants with the rubber pull over things and she can definately feel the wetness........ALSO i got her a padded DORA potty topper because she didnt like the little potty she wanted to be on the big one and the top came off the other potty and onto the big pot but it was all plastic and cold and no comfortable i'm sure.I'm doing the "reward system" also. I have a clear jar in the bathroom with candy she likes.. where she can see them but not get them and i told her every time she potties she can have some ALSO she loves to wipe herself and flush the toilet and at first the would try to go in there JUST to do that but ive made that a reward also i dont let her flush or wipe unless she potties.....today was the 2nd day of me doing this and she hasnt had one accident and she tells me when she needs to go....but ofcourse i have to put a diaper on her at night but since i'm about to slowly make the milk disappear i'll have that problem solved......i also have a 3 month old to take care of so theirs ALOT of dedication on both end...Ashlyn is pretty independant but potty training takes alot because with a 3 month old its hard to remember to ask her if she needs to potty but i also know it would be sooo much easier on me if she was potty trained...would be well worth it. so this is working for me for now!!!! thanks for the advice and more suggestionsyall have i'm all ears

Last edited by JenniferLPilg66; 07-29-2006 at 11:49 PM.

Old 07-30-2006, 12:40 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Fireball76 HB User

That is great news! Diapers at night is the norm I would think. Until one day she'll wake up and be dry...head right for the potty! Eventually you'll be able to phase those out with no problem.
Could you switch her milk with water? She may not drink as much of it (less pee in the night then) and it's better for her teeth in the long run.

Old 07-30-2006, 08:07 AM   #8
(female)

JenniferLPilg66 HB User

she refuses to drink water out of her sippy-cup. she'll only drink it in a glass or the bottle it comes in lol i guess i'll have to gradually take it away....or try her on skim milkjust for bed time (maybe she wont like it cuz its so watered down lol)at what age do you think she'll be able to pul her panties down and go by herself? i'm teaching her to pull them down now but she gets frustrated lol and i do not dare leave the bathroom door open for her because she lovs to playin the toilet i was just wondering at what age they're more independant about it. i'm kindof liking doing the potty training thing....but its sad shes growing up sooo fast lol

Jennifer

Old 07-30-2006, 10:31 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

Its just my opinion, but I would just relax and let her take the lead. With all three of ours (our ped's advice the first time around) we just put out the potty chair when they were around two. We began taking them to the bathroom with us at times and encouraged them verbally. Other than that, we let it go. In EVERY case, one day our children just said, "I have to go potty". It was that easy, literally. Our first was three and one month, our second, three and two months and our third, two and 10 months. They are now 19, 16 and 7 and I can honestly say that no one cares a bit about how old they were when they potty trained. They do it when they are ready and if you just let them have control it is so much easier on everyone, including the parents. As far as nighttime is concerned, we didn't even think about not putting our potty trained little ones in anything but pull ups at night until they were at least four years old.

Nancy

Old 08-09-2006, 12:25 AM   #10
(female)

tootsiepopbreeb HB User

Hi there,

Just a couple of tricks that we used to potty train and get rid of the sippy cups. First trick was to let them sit on the potty backwards. My son was always afraid to fall into the potty but having him get on it backwards, with him straddeling it like a horse worked wonders. He felt independent and we had no more mess. Once we started letting him "straddle" the potty he was trained very quickly. As for the sippy cups... what we did was decide to cut off the sippy cups completly, so we had the "Sippy fairy" We would give our son his cup at bedtime and tell him that the fairy was going to come and take his cup and give it to another child that needed it, and leave him a treat, sorta like the tooth fairy. After he was asleep I would go in and take out his cup and leave him a little toy or a new book under his pillow. After about a week he was more than willing to see his sippy cups be whisked away by the fairy.

Just a couple of suggestions... hope it helps..
Bree

Old 08-14-2006, 01:10 AM   #11

bnsbruno HB User

I think it very important to potty train only when the child is ready and interested in it, which is sounds like your daughter is. My son was almost 3 when I seriously worked in training. I used the doll that pees (saw it on Dr. Phil) and he was potty trained in one day. Believe me, I thought the doll was a big joke and would never work, but my mom bought it online for us so I tried it. My son also goes to bed with a sippy cup at night, but luckily, since day one, he has gotten up on his own in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. I don't know if it had something to do with the doll or if he just decided on his own. My niece had to go to bed with a bottle until she was pretty old (I don't remember how old), but my sister solved this by sending her to Grandma's for the weekend. When she asked for her bottle each night Grandma said, "Your mom forgot to leave one here." For some reason, she never asked for a bottle again.

Closed Thread