It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2006, 09:55 PM   #1
(female)

JenniferLPilg66 HB User
Question Is Preschool too soon?

Here where i live we have preschool(age 3), prek(age 4), then kindergarten I have a 22 month old and a 3 month old. Is 3 too young to let her go to school? I know she would enjoy playing with the other kids and learning...but i wouldnt want it to seem like i'm just throwing her away or anything. But i would also like to spend some alone time with my second DD as i got to do with my first. when were all here together i dont make her feel left out i show her attention and love and i let her help me with the baby. I'm just looking for everyones opinions on this.

Jennifer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2006, 10:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User
Re: Is Preschool too soon?

I have been teaching Pre-K, Kindergarten and First grade (not at the same time, LOL) for a total of 24 years. I do not think three is too young. However I would make sure that the one in which you enroll her is developmentally appropriate for her age level. The main focuses should be on socializing, langugage development, play and hands on learning activities. Make sure there are a lot of appropriate toys for her to play with and that they are within easy reach of the children. There should also be lots of picture books, daily opportunities for outdoor play and plenty of art materials available for creative expression. If they are sitting in desks and/or doing worksheets at this age I would not enroll my child. I think as long as they are doing things that three year olds should doing, it will be a good experience for her.

Nancy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2006, 12:36 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

whiteluluflower HB User

Myself, I started Kindergarten when I was 3 years old. Turning 4, a couple months later. You can start kindergarten (here,) when you are 4, or if you are turning 4, by december of the same year

Old 08-14-2006, 01:21 AM   #4

bnsbruno HB User

At 3 years old, I started my son in a class that was 3 days a week, 2 hours a day. It wasn't a class where the kids had to sit in desks and do work. They would sit in a circle and learn songs, the teacher would read books, the kids would do simple science projects and crafts. He didn't really learn a lot acedemically, but he learned how to follow instructions, take turns, and share with other kids (he's an only child). Now he is 4, so I have enrolled him in a Kindergarten Readiness program that teaches ABCs, numbers. writing, etc. He doesn't start for another month so I'm not sure how structured it is. I'm glad I had him go through the first type of class because now I don't have to worry about him being the kid that gets yelled at by the teacher for not following directions (well, I can only hope).

Closed Thread