It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2006, 07:34 AM   #1
(female)

mommazwieback HB User
Exclamation Weird situation to do with my daughter and my SIL

My daughter is nine months old. My husbands sister is 7, and she is VERY spoiled. Well, i was watching his sister last night, and when I went to put her to bed she was pretending like she was asleep. Her dog just died... and she said "doggy go bye bye", and then she said "maddy go bye bye" (thats my daughter), and then she said "shannon go bye bye" (thats me). Now, im not afraid of a 7 year old, but I am scared now to leave my daughter over there. Do you think that she will hurt her? Im afraid that she would and not realize what shes doing. Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill?? I know my mother in law watches my daughter, and I want to tell her what her daughter said, but I dont want to start anything. I think that there is seriously something wrong with his sister. Shes very spoiled, shes always the center of attention and now that the new baby is around she acts out even worse, gets around the play pin when she knows shes not supposed to, that sort of thing. She even wet herself when my daughter was first born so that her mother would have to change her. Shes seven freakin years old!!!! It wasnt at night either, it was in the middle of the day and she was standing there talking to my MIL. When her parents spank her, she laughs... its really weird. What would you all do. Im getting ready to go on a two day trip, and I was going to have my MIL watch her, but now I am thinking about just taking her.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2006, 05:12 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
Re: Weird situation to do with my daughter and my SIL

I wouldn't worry so much about it...perhaps your husband's sister thought she was being funny when she did the whole "Maddy go bye-bye" thing, or she just plainly and simply wanted to be the center of attention (which sounded like her plan when she wet herself when you gave birth). But I don't know the whole story about the dog's passing. Do you know if the child had anything to do with the dog's death? Has she been known to harm animals? Does she have any mental or psychological problems?

You say she laughs when she's spanked - how hard is she spanked? If she's given a gentle tap, I figure more often than not she would laugh. But if she's getting a firm smack on the behind and laughing about it, either she has a high tolerance for pain or she's a masochist.

If you really feel uncomfortable leaving your child in the care of your mother-in-law because of the child in question, then by all means do not leave the child there.

Old 08-08-2006, 07:05 AM   #3
(female)

mommazwieback HB User

She is spanked hard when she laughs. She didn't have anything to do with the dogs death. Ive never known of her to hurt animals, but she doesnt seem sad about the dogs death. I know when I was seven it was like our animals were a part of our family and I was sad for a couple of days after their passing. Its kind of like she doesn't care. There was no one around but me and my husband when she said the "Maddy go bye bye thing." My MIL was spending time with my daughter in another room. I know I probably shouldnt be this freaked out, but I seriously think that there is something wrong with the girl and the parents refuse to believe it. They wont take her to see a psychologist or anything, even just to rule anything out.

Old 08-08-2006, 12:49 PM   #4
(female)

sapphire_sea HB User

She is showing that spanking doesn't matter to her. I think that laughing is not normal to be honest. I would talk to her and explain the difference between the doggy going bye-bye and death. That bye-bye's are different..or do you think she would get it? I dunno, perhaps if you say something she would realize that it was getting to you and would continue with the same wording.
Its just some random thoughts. It might spark something or not. If you don't feel comfortable I would not leave her there. Its your call. You could also mention that she used "bye bye" in the wrong context to you MIL..if you have a good relationship with her.

Old 08-08-2006, 02:46 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

When I was in high school I once was babysitting the neighbor girl, who jumped on my back and put her arm around my throat (choking me). When I asked her why she did that, she smiled and said then I would be a big doll and I could stay in her room forever. Really really freaked me out and the minute her dad came home, I left the house before he could even pay me. Never babysat for her again.

Maybe she's afraid you and your daughter are going to go bye bye, too. Or is trying to figure out the concept of death.

Probably need to tell your MIL to keep a close eye on your daughter -- specifically say that you're concerned there may be some jealousy and explain what she said to you.

Last edited by Ratatosk; 08-08-2006 at 02:48 PM.

Closed Thread