It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2006, 11:00 AM   #1
(female)

MarissaC8 HB User
Too Much Yelling!!

My daughter 6.5 has always been stong willed, but now if she mouths off, uses bad words, or just is making the wrong choice she gets a time-out. The rules of time out are simply that time doesnt start until she is quiet. So, a 6 minute timeout ends up being more like 40 min to an hour or more. The longer she screams the more often my husband goes in to yell at her, then I yell at him to get him to just leave her alone until her timeout is done. There is just too much anger in our house.

She yells, the more she yells the more we yells. We need peace. Any ideas?

Last edited by MarissaC8; 08-08-2006 at 08:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2006, 12:15 AM   #2
(female)

tootsiepopbreeb HB User
Re: Too Much Yelling!!

Hi there,

I am the mother of three and all of my kids are strong willed and stubborn. I too had issues with them behaving, using bad language, throwing fits in the store... normal stuff but not acceptable in any way. The only thing that I have found that works is called orange days. The concept is very easy, I bought a calender and an orange highlighter. I told the kids that they would get two warnings and then an orange day. After I give them their two warnings I go to the calender and color the next day orange with the highlighter. On an orange day they do not get to do their favorite things, my son loves video games and movies so he gets neither. My daughter loves art and playdough so all of her crafts are put up. During the orange day, whenever they start to complain then I just tell them that they made the bad choices and that when they make good choices, good things happen. The orange days took the blame off of me and put it back on them for their behavoir. After a couple of days of this, both the kids wised up and now we only have orange days maybe once or twice a month. Normally just the threat of the orange highlighter is enough to squelch any behavior I don't like. Keep up with the time outs but if after you have asked her to be quiet twice color the next day orange. I now this sounds crazy, but trust me, it works...

Hope this helps..
Bree

The only trick is to be consistant... If you threaten an orange day you have to go through with it. Once she knows you mean business she will start to behave better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread