It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2006, 09:17 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User
Angry potty training frustration

My dd is 3.5. Lately she stopped even telling me when she is poo or pee. I guess 'cause I gave her a lecture every time that she should of go to potty. My dh suggested to stop it for 2 m. Daycare provider told me that she is going to potty there although diaper is often wet when we picking her up.
I am reading her potty books and she understands and repeats and I tried rewards and all other tricks, nothing helps

Old 08-14-2006, 09:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User
Re: potty training frustration

Why don't you leave her alone for a while. Lecturing her is only going to make things worse and give her a complex and make her feel bad. Perhaps she's just going to be a late bloomer when it comes to potty training.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2006, 10:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

I feel like they almost have to want to potty train just as much as we want them to. DD finally "wanted" to potty train after she saw an older friend of hers use the potty and wearing panties like a big girl. I also found that diapers and pullups tended to make the process more difficult, the seemed to convuse her, as if she figured well I have a diaper on, why bother?...we picked a strech of a few days where we didn't have to go anywhere and could devote the entire day to potty training and we put her in panties...(remember, she thought pullups and diapers were a free ticket to NOT pee in the potty), and we made sure her sippycup was always full. Being sure to ask her every 15 minutes or so if she would like to go potty. There were a few accidents those first few days, but she DID NOT like when she peed in her panties, so after the first day, you could tell she was making more of an effort...we never ridiculed her or punished her for peeing in her panties, just said next time she needed to try to make it to the potty in time. If she did pee or poop on the potty she got a sticker to put on the calender for that day...the first day I think she got 5 stickers the second day 9 and each day there was more and more. The trick is being consistant.

Try skipping the diapers and doing panties for a few days and see if that helps, if not then give it a rest for a couple months and try again,
Goodluck!

Last edited by kierrasmommy; 08-14-2006 at 10:32 AM.

Old 08-14-2006, 12:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

I was putting training pants on her, so she just pee in them and don't say anything. Before she at least asked to change them not anymore.

Old 08-14-2006, 04:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rouge HB User

What worked even better than no pull-ups but underpants for us, was to put DS's pants on commando style (pant's no underpants). He really did not like that feeling if he had an accident. I have never scolded him for accidents even if I thought he knew better. He was day and night trained at 2.5.

Old 08-16-2006, 07:30 PM   #6
(female)

averimomma HB User

I entered my potty training frustrations under Childrens health...Potty Training is HARD! My daughter will be 3 in a few days and she refused to use the big girl potty but always wanted to wear panties. Someone replied to my response and said that children love when you make a big deal about the good things that they do and they feed off of it. So when she goes to the potty I sing and dance around and praise her for it. Giving her treats like cookies do not work for her on the potty issue. We went from no potty training to now either 5 or 6 days with no accidents. She does wear pull-ups for naps and bedtime but really gets mad about wearing them. We have gone on several trips into town with panties on and she has said she has to go potty but has always waited until we arrived to a toilet. By the way she got to pick out what kind of "big girl panties" she wanted. Good luck. Hope it all goes well for me and for you. She still hasnt gone #2 since she has been in panties and refuses to go in the toilet in her panties or in her pull-ups. She is complaining of a belly ache.

Old 08-18-2006, 10:40 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

dewdrop333 HB User

My daughter wanted to be a big kid .. so her being at daycare helped ALOT. She saw all of her friends go to the bathroom .. and came in with me every time I went .. and one day .. I just found her sitting on the potty. (I got her a little stool to stand on so she could get up by herself.

I also didnt ASK if she had to go .. but every so often (about every half hour in the beging) would say .. its time to go potty and off we would go .. I would go .. then she would go.

I also got her the full "can do" line .. with wipes and soap.

The sticker chart and reward after so many stickers worked well too.

Maybe she doenst like the big potty .. you can take her to a store and she can pick out one she likes (a training potty) or an adaptable potty seat (you need a stool to stand on too)

I wish you luck ... when they are ready they are ready ... all we can do is offer the tools.

OH I also took her out of pull ups ... put her in panties and put the plastic covers (like the ones for cloth diapers) over them .. for naps and durring the day. If she was wet she would sure know it.

It only took a day or so in the plastic to know she didnt like it .. then no problems at nap even .. just took her to the bathroom right before and right after.

I wish you luck.

Closed Thread