It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2006, 01:46 PM   #1
(female)

ronniesteers HB User
Hope Someone Can Help

My four year old obsessively wipes herself after she goes to the bathroom (pee). Sometimes she insists it's leaking and will change her panties. She just started Kindergarten a week ago and the school nurse has already called me three times about her complaining about going to the bathroom. The first time, I talked to her on the phone and she sounded scared so we picked her up from school. I checked her out and nothing looked red, swollen and there's no abnormal discharge in her panties. I asked her if it hurt or burned when she went to the bathroom and she said No. The second time the school, I was honest with the nurse and told her sometimes she has a problem going to the bathroom (#2) in strange, public bathrooms. (The nurse said she was "wiggly"). Well today the nurse called again and now says her teacher says she was itching by her pants down there. From everything I've read, if she had vulvitis, a URI or yeast infection, it would hurt when she peed. At home she is fine. I really don't know what to do. The school wants us to take her to a doctor when she says she is fine, and we watch her at home she is fine and not "picking at herself". I don't understand what is going on? Advice, anyone?

Old 08-16-2006, 06:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Hope Someone Can Help

You do not have to have rash or redness to be miserable from yeast. I should know, I have had the problem for 51 years.

Sitting in a chair for long periods of time will keep air from circulating. Yeast loves warmth and moisture.

Have a doctor check her for yeast. It could be on the skin only and not inside.

Be sure she wears cotton panties, not tight, cotton loose fit shorts, pants.

You could try putting some yeast cream on her bottom and see if that solves the problem.

I am not a medical professional, speaking from experience only.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2006, 09:17 AM   #3
(female)

ronniesteers HB User

She's not itching at all around me or my husband. How can you tell if she has a yeast infection?

Old 08-17-2006, 12:17 PM   #4
(female)

InsaneMom HB User

You can't always tell about a yeast infection just by looking. And If she is up playing a lot at home and moving around she might not be itching at home and just when she has to sit still as school. As for having a UTI (urinary tract infection) I get them and it never hurts to go to the bathroom.. the only thing i have is the feeling like i have to pee all the time or that i am never quite finished going.. even though nothing is comig out. This could be why she is obsessed with wiping. thinking she will get the last bit to come out or something. I would take her to the dr and have them do a urine test.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:13 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

I agree. I think it's worth having a doctor check for a yeast infection or a UTI (urinary track infection).

And just FYI, I've had alot of yeast infections and it never hurt when I peed. I just itched (and itched and itched).

Old 08-17-2006, 01:15 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

One more thought... Do the potties at school automatically flush? Many, many kids are afraid of those. You might ask her if the potties at school scare her.

Old 08-18-2006, 09:25 AM   #7
(female)

ronniesteers HB User

Hi Index

She told me she did not like the potties at the school because they don't give her enough privacy (they are the stall kind). (I assume) she likes the one in the nurse's office because it is a single bathroom with a full door. Anyway, either I have a funny child with an obsession or there is something wrong. I spoke with her teachers today. They say she hasn't been wiggling, itching or doing anything else funny. I don't know who to believe anymore?

Closed Thread