It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2006, 06:12 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User
Angry Car seat problem. Please help !!!

My 3.5 gave me big scare yesterday. She got out of her car seat by getting through the belts and was trying to open the door when I was driving.
I went to my parents. When I drove back she managed to get out of her car seat again.
I don't know what can be done???

Old 08-18-2006, 06:47 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

lovemybabyboys HB User
Re: Car seat problem. Please help !!!

Goodness, i can't even imagine. that would have scared me to death too.
first of all, most cars have a safety lock, so they can not be opened from the inside, (it is on the part of the door that is closed) just in case it happens again, i have a four year old, and have mine on.
is she in a booster where the belt goes across her, or is she still in a five point harness?
at 3.5 she can understand that it is not safe to get out. Landen (4 in july) is in a booster, and can unbuckle, but he knows that he is only allowed to unbuckle when we are stopped. next time you are putting her in, tell her that a carseat keeps her safe and that she has to stay in it at all times when the car is moving. that if you have to stop fast, she could get hurt.
i used to have a hard time getting landen to even get in his, i told him that if he didn't sit in it, then the police whould give mommy a ticket, and he didn't like the thought of that, so he would get on in. maybe you could try that.
it may be that if she is in a booster, she needs to be put back into a five point harness, until she understands that getting out is not ok.
i don't know, just a few suggestions.
good luck. i understand 3 year olds are fun. and not always little

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2006, 07:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

She is not in a booster seat but in the one we got after she outgrew infant sit, I guess what you call 5 point. She ignores everything I said and does opposite, we still struggling with toilet training.
I have child safety lock but it seems doesn't have affect, she can open it manually. I wonder if child seat is not good. May be I should get a different model which is not easy to open???

Old 08-18-2006, 08:03 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

lovemybabyboys HB User

you might should have your car looked at about that. i'm glad we have it, because, even when we get somewhere, he has to wait for me before he can get out of the car.
a five pt. harness is one that buckles at their chest level and then between their legs. and the one between their legs are 2 different buckles in to one release.
my son can't undo the five pt. harness. we also have a 13 month old and i've asked him to undo it for me, and he can't. they have displays at most places that sell carseats, maybe you could take her with you, and see which one she can't open. but i think she may be getting too big for a five pt. harness. i tried to use my 13 months old carseat with my 4 year old the other day, and the harnesses were too small to reach around him, even pulled all the way out. (he's small too, 33 lb.) my son was a little over 3 when we switched him to a booster, or his carseat turned into a booster. you just use the regular seat belt over it, and it has places at the top to secure the seat belt to make it not go across his face. Maybe you could try a booster, and put something over the release, so she couldn't undo it.
i don't know, this is a tough one.
good luck and i'll let you know if i have any more ideas.
brandi

Old 08-18-2006, 10:33 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

dewdrop333 HB User

I have a four point harnes one and she can undo the push button part that attaches between her legs but not the arm straps they have a slot like clasp that requires you to hold it from the top and the bottom at the same time to get it open.

I would take her to the store and sit her in some to find one that is hard for her to open.

The child saftey locks in your car ... she should not be able to open the car door fromt the inside at all. If you take your car to the dealer they can show you (and will do it for free most likely) how to flip it on. Its usually a very small latch .. when you open the car door it is inbetween the inside and outside of the door ... like a tiny lever that you flip.

I know that fire stations and police stations offer tips on propper car seat use .. they may be able to help you there.

If you cant get to the dealer .. you can look online for the manual to your car and I bet the instructions for 'child saftey lock' would be there.

I also point out to my daughter that I have to wear my seatbelt too ... its just like hers ... and we have to do this so we dont get hurt ... mommy does it .. and so you do too.

Either way ... I wish you luck!

Old 08-18-2006, 11:35 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

She just manage to escape without unlocking any belts, my dh will try to tight them harder. I know were is the child safty button, but I don't see it makes a difference if she knows how to open the door.
I will tell her that I am having seat belt as well, but she agrees and doing whatever she wants.

Old 08-18-2006, 03:04 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

dewdrop333 HB User

Once you flip the switch, you can pull the handle to open the door all you want but it wont open. You can ONLY open it from outside the car ..

Old 08-19-2006, 02:10 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

mayam HB User

Sounds like you are having some basic discipline problems with her. My grandchild used to do that too and I spoke to him sharply when it happened. If he stayed in the car seat and didn't try to open the door I praised him and rewarded him with a sticker when we got home. If he didn't behave he didn't get the sticker.

Old 08-19-2006, 05:24 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

Car safety switch is only working for windows. I tested and I can perfectly open the door.
I read that some parents use addittional material, ropes to hold baby in a car seat. I think we have discipline problem.

Old 08-19-2006, 07:14 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

lovemybabyboys HB User

if she is not trying to unbuckle (which is what i thought was the problem) then yeah i would go buy a new car seat that fits tighter, just take her with you to the store, i think that is you best bet.
also on the safety lock, my window lock and door lock are in totally different places. are you sure you are clicking the right button? and if it is working, then you would NOT be able to open it from the inside. i rode in the back once, and my husband had to let me out. What kind of car do you drive?
well good luck again.
brandi

Old 08-19-2006, 07:34 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

I am driving Nissan Sentra, I have child safety lock near driver sit and it unly prevents open windows. My dh will try to tight the straps and I got additional
luggage belt, although my dh doesn't like it, he thinks it will prevent me to get her out quickly in case of emergency.

Old 08-19-2006, 08:34 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

lovemybabyboys HB User

i'm not trying to drive you crazy, just trying to help.
the child safety lock for the door is on the door itself. you have to do each door. when you open the door and look at the space that you can't see from the inside or outside when the door is closed, that is where it is. It is a tiny little switch. alot smaller than a light switch and it's black. you will probably have to get really close to be able to read what it is, it is easily missed if you don't know about it.
Yeah, i would be a little apprensive about luggage straps, sounds great, but like your husband, what if there was an emergency? what is the weight limit or weights on her car seat. like mine is 6 to 40 lbs. and my booster is 30-80 lb. it should be able to be tightened, do you have your book on it? maybe you could find a manual on the internet if not. if you can't tighten the straps, then it's probably the safest to buy another. they have some that are for bigger kids that have harnesses that are a little cheeper. i know you don't want to go spend a fortune when she won't be in a harness for too much longer.
like i said, just trying to help.
good luck, take care
brandi

Old 08-19-2006, 05:35 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

Thank you I will look for this switch. I appretate your help.

Old 08-19-2006, 05:36 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

Thank you I will look for this switch. I appretate your help. My dh tightened straps, I'll see if it do the trick. He also suggested me to install special latch in dealership so he can turn seat around, so she may not want to get out.

Old 08-20-2006, 04:06 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

lovemybabyboys HB User

i don't know if this is an option, but we have a tv in our car. i bought the one with 2 screens because we have 2 boys, and it was about $200. they have them with one screen for about $100. They also make a little tv in the toy section called Video Now (around $70), but they have to hold it themselves.
my kids get car sick, so we have to have it, but it really keeps their attention, and keeps them quite while i drive.
like i said, i don't know if that would be an option, but maybe that would keep her mind on what she's watching.
again, good luck and take care.
brandi

Closed Thread