It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2006, 06:32 PM   #1
(female)

justme1issa HB User
Finger Sucking 7 yr old Daughter

My daughter can't stop sucking her two middle fingers. She wants to, but she says she can't stop. My son was a thumb sucker and he eventually stopped on his own. But this just seems to becoming too excessive and I really feel like I need to do something. She doesn't do it at school or in public. Just at home.

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2006, 07:57 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

lovemybabyboys HB User
Re: Finger Sucking 7 yr old Daughter

i am not sure what it is called, but they make s cream that you put of the finger(s) they suck. it tastes bad, therefore stops the habit. i don't know, maybe worth a try.
good luck and take care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2006, 10:28 AM   #3
(female)

Ausomemom2 HB User

Hi, I don't have any experience with this and I am sorry I can't be of more help, but to add to what the previous poster stated: I think that product is called Bitter Apple or something. (or that could be just the flavor) But for some reason, that is what popped into my head. Good luck.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

JustMe, since she's had success with limiting where she sucks her fingers (ie she no longer does it in public), I would try to encourage her to further limit it. Make a deal with her: she can suck as much as she wants to - it soothes her, after all - but she needs to go to her room to do it.

If she is successful with that, then limit it to when she is in her bed. Once she gets to that point, you will probably have to try the bad tasting stuff or enlist the aid of her dentist (they make appliances that make sucking impossible).

Good luck to you! Try to make it a stress-free as possible because the more stressed she is, the more she will need to suck!

Closed Thread