It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2006, 07:52 PM   #1
(female)

serinity HB User
5 year old bullieing

My 5 year old baby girl just started kindergarten last week.When she got her weekly report it read that Tuesday she was talkking in class and then Thursday she couldnt keep her hands to herself.OK now this past Monday she was in the cafetteria and she had to be moved because she couldnt keep her hands to herself.And that same day she also got in trouble for talking again.Well I went Tuesday and talked to her teacher and she said dont wory, it usually takes a few weeks to adjust.Today, the phone rings and its her teacher she said we are having a little problem with her bullieing another kid, so much so the other kid was afraid to come to the playground.She made my daughter apologize.My husband and I had a talk with our daughter about her actions and all she really had to say was I dont remember but i will be good.I am concerned about her behavior as she acts as if she doesnt really care.Any suggestions?If she keeps acting like this I think she might need to go to the pediatrition.

Old 08-24-2006, 08:13 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Altson HB User
Re: 5 year old bullieing

Is she your first child? Last child? Did she attend preschool? Has she been around other children before this for extended periods of time? Is this the first time she's been away from you for extended periods of time?

The teacher is correct in that the first few weeks (I think more like a couple months) are a huge adjustment for even the most socialized kids.

Keep in mind, some 5 year olds, are simply not ready for Kinder and there's nothing wrong with that at all.

Perhaps she honestly doesn't know the "rules" or expected behavior in Kinder. It may help to tell her and even write them down on a paper together (I know she can't read/write yet so you'll do the actual writing/reading) and post in her room and you can talk about them each morning before she leaves. Also, be extremely calm and consistent with applying the same rules at home. Example - no hitting you, or any other family member, no talking disrespectfully, hands to yourselves other than to help or hug, sitting still and in the same chair/place throughout an entire mealtime or story time, no interrupting

We also do this during our family dinner time. We have "favorite things". Each person tells us their favorite thing of the day. They are not allowed to pass and it cannot be negative and must be specific to that very day only, even if it ends up as "I thought my breakfast was fantastic". We also have a "bad favorite thing" for anyone that needs to vent about something. Maybe this will help her to open up about her feelings and all the new things going on in her life.

All of a sudden, she's not the center of her world, that's a big pill to swallow for a little girl.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread