It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2006, 06:02 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

bridget021182 HB User
Newborn jaundice

My daughter is 6 days old and has pretty bad jaundice. Does anyone know what the normal level is for the biliruben? She was at 5.5 at 5 hours old. Then she went up to 11. The day we were supposed to come home it was 15 and so they kept her until it came down a little. 12 hours later it went up to 15.3 and they kept changing how much light they had on her. They morning they released her it was at 12.9 and they said that she didnt need a biliblanket. We had her tested again yesterday and it went up to 15.9 and they still said that she didnt need a biliblanket but to get her rechecked today. Her levels came back today at 17.8 and they ordered a biliblanket. It just really frustrates me that they didnt order her on it yesterday. I think that if they would have done that then maybe it wouldnt have gotten so high today. I was told that breastfed babies tend to get a little higher jaundice levels too. I dont want to give her formula at all. I cant get her to stay awake long enough to feed on both sides either. I know that it is her jaundice that is causing that though.

Old 09-07-2006, 07:13 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

lovemybabyboys HB User
Re: Newborn jaundice

my dr. told me to not be concerned unless my son's got above 15. so i don't know why they didn't order one either. my SIL just had a baby and they put a billiblanket on her baby when her's was like 9, so i think it is just different hospitals and drs. think differently about it. just try to stay in the sun as much as possible. good luck to you and your baby. take care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2006, 01:47 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

bridget021182 HB User

We just got a call a little while ago and it is going down. It was 17.8 yesterday and it is 15.8 today. We have to get her retested tomorrow and we may not have to have her on the biliblanket after tomorrow. My husband talked to them and asked them what they considered normal and they said 12 was normal. She is looking better though. Her eyes arent so yellow today. She has a 50% chance of having Gilberts Syndrom since my husband has it. It is kinda like adult jaundice. They detected it in him when he was 6 yrs old. That may play a part in her jaundice also.

Old 09-10-2006, 06:20 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

bridget021182 HB User

We had to have her tested again yesterday and it was 13.8 and the doc wanted to take her off of the blanket. My husband called them back after I talked to them and told them about him having Gilberts Syndrom and asked if we could just leave her on it until Monday and get it as low as we can with the blanket and then retest like they wanted to on Monday morning and they said that would be fine. She is looking really great today. Im still trying to adjust to her having the cluster feedings in the middle of the night. But all in all it is so worth it.

Old 09-10-2006, 06:31 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

lovemybabyboys HB User

i am glad to hear that she is doing well. sounds like you are doing an excellent job. keep up the good work.
congratulations on the little one and enjoy every minute. i have a 4 year old and 13 month old and it seems like just yesterday they were newborns and we were dealing with jaundice. they grow up entirely too fast. take lots of pictures too.

Old 09-14-2006, 05:18 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

bridget021182 HB User

Just a little update.

She came off the blanket on Monday. Her levels got down to 11.3. The doc said that when she is a little older she will run some tests to see if she has Gilberts Syndrom. Right now she is doing wonderful and growing and changing every day. She is almost 2 weeks old...where did the time go?

Closed Thread