It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2006, 02:57 PM   #1
(male)

JosephV HB User
Help! 4 Year Old Won't Stop Wetting His Pants

My youngest nephew is four years old and we cannot get him to stop peeing on his pants. He and his two older brothers have always had the occasional bed wetting but he is the only one that pees his pants. We have tried pretty much everything to get him to use the toilet and have had a couple successful days but for the most part he just won't cooperate.

My brother-in-law is understandably at wits end but I don't agree with how he's handling it; I spent the weekend with them and when he dropped them off, my nephew was wearing a pull-up diaper! He was walking around with a soaked diaper and reeking of urine, which I immediately took off, cleaned him and put on his underwear.

This has been going on for a while now and when it originally started I thought it was because he just didn't want to stop what he was doing to go to the restroom. As more time passes, it appears that he either is just being lazy and WON'T go or now I'm starting to think that there may be something wrong.

I would greatly appreciate any help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2006, 03:36 PM   #2
(female)

my genuine life HB User
Re: Help! 4 Year Old Won't Stop Wetting His Pants

I wasn't quite sure what the problem was until you mentioned your nephew wearing the diaper. Potty training takes a consistent, persistent effort. If the child's parents use the fall back plan of putting a diaper on him occasionally, he gets the message that using the toilet is only on occasion rather than making it a consistent habit. When parents decide to begin potty training, they are making a commitment to put the time in with their child to make it happen. All focus seems to be on "what's going on with the child" when you really should be looking at the flawed strategy being used by the parents.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread