It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2006, 06:40 AM   #1
(female)

littlegal HB User
Need advice on 11 year old mood swings.

Just need advice on how to handle my daughter's mood swings. She gets very snappy at times and then she gets very pouty too. We tried discussing it with her and tried in a nice approach to help her deal with it. It might be the age!! Any suggestions on how to deal with it?

Old 09-21-2006, 08:41 AM   #2
(female)

angelique5 HB User
Re: Need advice on 11 year old mood swings.

I'm betting its the age, and hormonal... my daughter is 10, and its irregular, but there are days when you just know something is out of whack! Easily angered, hyper-sensitive... crying at the drop of a hat...

I tried to tell her there's only room in this house for ONE emotional trainwreck, and thats ME!...hahaa, I don't think puberty's going to agree with me on that one.

All I can say is what I tell myself... try to be patient...you understand much better than she does what her body is going through...maybe it's time for some information on puberty.

American Girl has a book called "the care and keeping of YOU", its for preteen girls..written on their level...goes over hygeine, hormones, periods...I got it for my daughter earlier this year...sometimes it's easier for them to look at a book in private, than to sit and listen to mom... eeek!!

I know I've had some problems with PMS over the years...so I know how out of control it can feel, I just try to remember that when my daughters acting out... try to give her some tips in that moment like, to get away from her brothers (she's the only girl, 5 brothers!), to go spend some time alone in her room...nap... write in a diary...etc.

Good luck... I know I'm not really looking forward to the teen years with my daughter, I have 3 boys that are teens already, and we've survived...but just the POTENTIAL of her mood swings scares me already!! hahaha

The Following User Says Thank You to angelique5 For This Useful Post:
MomsQ (01-16-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2006, 11:37 AM   #3
(female)

m1e1b1s1 HB User

Oh my, what memories this brings back :-(

Our daughter stared the mood swings about 11, and it got BAD.....it got to the point, we talked to the doctor about it and brought her to a therapist....

Therapy helped, but didn't work...it's hormonal. Her pediatrician reccommended either a low dose anti-depressant, or because I am against putting her on anti-depressants, birth control pills....with hopes it would help with Acne (she was 14 by this time) at the same time, and it isn't addictive.

We decided the BC pills were our best starting option, and other than some PMS....she's been much better.

I took a seminar not too long ago on child development (we also have a 7YO ), a 30 year study was done on development and it was found with girls the hardest time was 10-16...at 16 it starts to level off and the anger, moodyness starts to subside.

Good luck!! I got to the point when it started that I'd say "if I only knew, I'd never have had children"....of course, I love them both more than any words could express and would never go back to not having them....I just learned to take things day to day and the WORST thing one can do is "feed" into it. When she'd start ranting, or complaing, we'd ignore it....bit by bit she learned we weren't going to feed into it and she stopped with it!..

Old 10-16-2006, 10:16 PM   #4
(female)

mom24 HB User

I can certainly sympathize...I have 4 children....ages 19 (now married and newly pregnant, 15, 12 and 9....All my girls have gone through this moody stage and my 12 year old is majorly into it now...my 15 year old can still also have her times, but not as much....my 19 year old is now an angel, so I got one through, one struggling through, and one majorly sensitive!!! But I believe it will get better and it's a phase, I remember being the same way when I was that age, and if you ask my mom today...Well she'd probably say I'm still moody

Closed Thread