It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2006, 09:54 PM   #1
(female)

kini23 HB User
Brain Damaged from too much shaking?

Hi everyone I am writing about my nephew who is five years old. I will make this short so here goes: I guess I am wondering if it is possible to slowly cause a child to become brain damaged as a result of too much rough handling.

This childs father began to shake and roughhouse with him as early as 4 mos. We had to stand by and helplessly watch when all we would want to do was to snatch him out of his arms but he was his father so we couldnt do that. He knew that it bothered us so it made it him do it even more. My mom would just walk out of the room because when she said something about it he would just laugh. He was that kind of idiot who had a "youre a tough little man" complex. When we talked with my sister about his roughness she just shrugged it off. Yes she is a lousy mother. He is an idiot who's idea of discipline is a backhand against the face. It is five years later and my sister and the idiot are divorced.But the kids still go to see him every other weekend.

This child is now in kindergarten and on the verge of getting kicked out. He does not know his alphabet, refuses to follow simple directions, and cannot learn his phone number and address. My sister claims that it is ADD and has him jacked up on ADD drugs and melatonin to make him sleep. He is very aggressive towards other kids, and talks about killing and violence including threats. He has serious issues.

So I was wondering if there is any type of medical testing that could prove brain damage because my mom and I strongly feel that it is his dads fault. Maybe a scan of some sort. But my sister cannot run from this problem anymore because he is in school now and his issues are becoming obvious when he is placed in a setting with his peers and cannot keep up. People have got to start asking questions. Maybe it was a slow shaken baby syndrome that mildly damaged him over time. I do not know but it breaks my heart she is my sister and I do not understand why she would just sit back and allow him to handle him that way. I know what I saw and I know that a baby should not be handled in that way at such an early age and continued handling that way that just got worse as he got older.

Maybe we are wrong but if medical proof could be found of brain damage how could we prove it was his dad or something else? My sister smoked cigarettes during her pregnancy so maybe thats it.

Any replies would be appreciated. My sis is going to get back together with this idiot and she is going to move away because she wants to hide from everyone. She is seriously going back to this guy and all she does is lie about it. I fear for the kids she has a daughter too who has issues as well.

I fear for the kids. My mom is saying to "write them off" , because honestly, they seem too far gone to fix and my dad thinks that they will both end up in jail some day and I see that happening too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2006, 04:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: Brain Damaged from too much shaking?

Yes, shaking a child can cause brain damage. The name for it is "Shaken Baby Syndrome".

Talk to the child's pediatrician about it.

What a sad story.

Old 09-23-2006, 04:06 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

plasva HB User

Yes, very sad.
Child protective services (CPS) should be called and everything you know reported.
You can do the reporting anonymously, but have all of your facts ready. Be prepared to give information such as the address where the children live, where your sister and her boyfriend work, and specific instances you witnessed of abuse, including the days and times. It's too bad things weren't better documented and CPS wasn't called back when this child was a baby, but you can still call now. For the children's sake, "writing them off" is not the answer. Contacting CPS is important, so they can investigate.

Old 09-23-2006, 06:43 PM   #4
(female)

angelique5 HB User

if there is any brain damage... yes, a brain scan like an MRI would show it...

Old 09-28-2006, 01:40 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

alleycat2 HB User

I don't doubt that shaking a child too much overtime can cause problems. Their little brains aren't developed and they bounce off the sides of the head and could most likely cause damage. I watched this show where this stepmom abused this little girl and shook and slapped her and she was about 2 years old. This girls brain hit the sides of her head and bruised and eventually the brain swelled and started pushing against her head causing nerves and stuff to be damaged or basically picnched off. She lost control of the part of her brain that allowed her to control of he functions and wet her bed. So yes i think things can be affected in the brain and that is probbaly why he doesn't learn stuff as fast. he is probably aware their is a problem compared to other children and it makes him feel out of place and than out come the only thing he knows when it come to dealing with a problem "violence" taught to him by good old dad! I would have a brain scan done one him and probably some counseling.

Closed Thread