hello to all
Well I dont really have a question this is an event that happend that just really opened my eyes and made me realize that as a parent you can never put your gard down when it comes to children's safety. I hope this post is ok
ok hear goes last Saturday a friend of mine went to yard sales and bought her 20 month old boy some books, when she got home she had set them aside in her room and forget about them. Well Tuesday afternoon while she was preparing lunch her boy went in the room and found the books, she tought he was playing in the living room.
A few min, had past and then her little boy started screaming (like she never heard), going crazy his eyes were rolling in back of his head, she said he was running in the walls, hurting himself he looked like he was dizzy falling on the floor yelling and when she touched him she said he was very very hot.
She new there was something very wrong with her boy, so she called 911.
To make a long story short the book she had bought at the yard sale tested positive for drugs and the boy had the book in his mouth. He is ok now but he did stay a couple of days at the hospital. I have a 18 month dd and it just scares me to think that things like that really does happen. And honestly she is a very loving and responsible mother. I have only been able to talk to her for a few minutes does anyone know if something can be done about this?
I am so sorry for such a long post I wanted to share because it has realy opened my eyes that we can never be to safe
I talked to my friend and her child is ok but she's going to drive herself crazy. She's blaming it all on her, she said if she would of put the books away, or she should have washed them right away and so on that it would of never happened.
I dont know what else to do, I told her its not her fault it could happen to anyone, and the people that sold the books should not be doing drugs on childrens books, well reallly nobody should do that stuff with children around.
she does not want to talk to anyone cause she thinks people are judging her. anybody have any thoughts?
And when they went to the hospital a social worker came to talk to them and they told her the information on where they bought the books, and they are going to pursue the case wich I told her that we are going to be there for her because I think it is very importante.
This is terrifying! I always buy things for my kids (two years and two months) at garage sales. I think now I will definately be extra careful! Thank you so much for your post! This totally blows my mind! I don't think your friend should blame herself. If a social worker isn't investigating her (and she has no reason to) then she should take that as a sign that it was just an honest mistake. That could've happened to anyone. Right now she probably just needs to hear that from the people who care about her and eventually she will come around. At least now she knows to be extra careful. There are a lot of wierd people out there and this just proves it!
All my friends call me paranoid because I wipe everything down with clorox wipes, even brand new things from the store. I also have disinfecting spray I keep in almost every room of my house to spray almost daily. I do it mostly to keep bacteria and germs away but you can never be too careful just as this story proves. I feel so bad for your friend and I hope she realizes that this in no way was her fault. It is so irreasonsible to first of all do drugs, but to do them on a childrens book and then sell it. I read once somewhere that 75% of $20.00 dollar bills have traces of cocaine on them. It is a dirty world we live in and and I am so happy your friend caught this in time and her child is OK. Its a really sad day when we have to worry about our children being exposed to and god forbid possibley overdosing from books.
Since this happended to my friend let me tell you it sure oppened my eyes.
I too would always rub things down but now I realize just how bad it is.
Different things like what sdjansen you said about $20 bills I never really thought of that but from now on I am going to be safer Thank you!
I told my friend about this board, she said thank you for the reply's and it really got us talking about how things like this should be taken more seriously because it really does happen.
She wants to make people more aware by starting to tell her situation to different organizations. Would anybody have any thoughts on it.
no matter how tempting it may be to obtain something at a 'really great price' i wouldn't buy anything at any sort of a garage sale or even some consignment type stores unless it can be completely sanitized in some way.what happened to that child is really horrible.i am glad he is going to be okay.thats just really appalling.better safe than sorry i guess when it comes to buying anything for our kids now a days.pretty sad.marcia