It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2006, 12:32 AM   #1
(female)

shadacali HB User
Hello in dire need of advice

Well here iam with yet another serious issue and i dont know what i can do about this . well about 4 days ago my boyfriend and i went up to another county to piclk up the most sweetest good hearted, very abused and neglected 6 yr old girl whom was the daughter of a friend of my BF. well the second day she was ther ( well let me say when we got her she didnt even have shoes on her feet!) she opened up to me about how her mother gets mad at her boyfriend and takes it out on her by beating her and locking her outside in the middle of the night and makes her walk countless miles daily for nothing, you could see the old and new blisters on her little feet. she confided that she didnt want to go back that she was scared to go back for fear of being beaten. let me tell you iam crying my eyes out as i tell this ,because we tried to keep her here my BF supposedly contacted CPS and they told him we had to take her back and to not bring her to them this doesnt sound right to me and right now im terrified shes being beat as i type this and i cant go help her i told her she didnt have to go back if she didnt want to and there was nothing i could do . does anyone please please know of some other way i could rescue this child? i need advice ASAP!

Old 10-19-2006, 04:08 AM   #2
(female)

Tiea HB User
Re: Hello in dire need of advice

What's CPS? Sorry, I'm not America. Is it child services? That's who you should be calling. Or the police?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2006, 07:46 AM   #3
(female)

InsaneMom HB User

You have got to call CPS yourself immediately!!!! You can't just sit there and do nothing. If she told this to you then you are the one that needs to call. Also the more calls that CPS gets the more likely they will be to do something. Your boyfriend has reasons to not tell CPS everything if the girl is a daughter of one of his friends. You on the other hand have no loyalty issues.

Also IF CPS says there is nothing they can do I would then try calling the police in the town she lives in and see if there is anything they can do or someone they can put you in contact with to help. The other option is to call the school she is in (assuming from her age she is in school) and see if they have any suggestions. If she is not in school I would think that there is some kind of truency law against that and it might be another way for her to get some help.

CPS is Child Protective Services. It is a government agency in the US that is supposed to protect all children and be a place that you can call to report abuse if you see it or have been told by a child that they are being abused.

Old 10-19-2006, 10:04 AM   #4
(female)

angelique5 HB User

I'd start with CPS again... maybe what they were saying was there was nothing you could do in that moment to KEEP her with you... but that doesn't mean CPS can't be called to go investigate!

I know counties may differ, but here, I think if you want to take in a child from CPS...you have to be a certified foster parent. You may look into the legalities on that in your county, and see if you need to start the process to get certified......otherwise, she may end up fostercare somewhere else if they DO remove her from her home.

Old 10-19-2006, 05:02 PM   #5
(female)

shadacali HB User

im on the phone right now with cps im on hold will report the update asasp

Old 10-29-2006, 12:57 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Angel77 HB User

I applaud you for stepping in. Not enough people do. I can't say that what I have seen w/ CPS in my state is great, but it's all the child has. We have had a rash of child killings due to abuse this year and it's horrible. The last was a 10 yr old girl w/ bi-polar, beaten to death by her dad and step-mom just a few miles from where I live.

There's not a single reason you can come up with to make that okay and you know that! I'm proud!!!

Keep on CPS and if you think the child is in immediate danger, call the police for a well child check and see what they say. Keep it all documented, who you've spoken with, dates, times, witnesses, what was discussed, what was told would be done and follow up. You may have to go up the chain of command with CPS, but she's worth it.

Usually (or at least in Utah) they have 48 hours to check up on the child, I don't know if your state is different. I hope they are. The family is going to be angry, possibly even your bf, but what you are doing is not only right, it's the humane thing to do and whoever fails to see that IMO is a ****!

Keep us updated. I hope this goes well. Do not, under any circumstances take off with the child, you'll be up a creek, no paddle or boat! But you can keep on the cops and CPS to do something.

Make sure you ask for names, supervisors names, etc. When they know you're going to be checking up on them, they're more likely to take what you say to heart.

Can you document the injuries? Get a video and also ask the girl open-ended, non-suggestive questions about how she got them. You don't want to be in trouble for 'coaxing' the child.

Old 10-29-2006, 03:12 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

Is there not a family member to take this child. I had to do a really hard thing once my childhood friend was doing drugs and one of her kids found a bag of dope and I called her mother and her mother took the kids so they wouldn't wind up in the system.My friend still doesn't speak to me but I'm okay with it I saved the kids lives. Soesn't she have a Grandmother to go to????

Old 11-15-2006, 09:46 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

jessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB User

So what happened? Did you all get her or did they get the baby out of thier house? Ever thought of talking with the parents, not about abuse, but just make it seem like you really had fun with the little girl and that you would love to have her for a little while to give them a break and to take her to do all kinds of really fun stuff. That is how i did it years ago with a little boy. Yes he always had to go back there but it was only a day or two before they would call me and i would have him again for like a week.

Old 12-22-2006, 01:50 AM   #9
(female)

shadacali HB User

sorry about not letting you all in on whats been going on with my situation its just that ive beenvery depressed about the whole thing it hurts to think about it much less write . well we called cps and made a few reports and she is still there with her mother and im at a loss of what to do

Old 12-22-2006, 07:02 AM   #10
(female)

karenb75 HB User

Have you called the police? I would call them if CPS isn't working. That poor child.

Closed Thread