It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2006, 08:00 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User
Question potty training special cituations

My almost 4 y old finally starts using potty at home. I am having problem taking her to store/restaurant. Today she peed right in shopping cart. I was told put diaper only at night otherwise it will spoil everything. She will do it in pull-up if she has pull up on.
Please any input from experience parents is welcome.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Re: potty training special cituations

When we potty trained DS, we used thick cloth training pants along with plastic pants. You're right, pull ups were like diapers, so he didn't mind soiling those. We still had accidents with the training/plastic pants, but they at least contained the mess. Took a few weeks -- we still used pull ups at night 'cuz I wasn't ready to deal with that issue.

Numerous trips to bathrooms when we were out and about. The novelty issue, I'm sure and he was also trying to get the hang of being able to hold it on the way to the bathroom. He'd suddenly have to go potty while we were out to eat, but we wouldn't make it in time to the bathroom. I usually carried a spare pair of underwear and a plastic bag along with me. Good luck! Just takes time and patience.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2006, 12:50 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Ratatosk's right: carry spares with you and be prepared for an accident.

But, don't be too upset by them. Accidents happen. She will eventually learn to use the potty in restaurants and stores. It's possible that she's afraid of potties in strange places so be sure that she "goes" before you leave home. Praise her heavily when she does use the potty in strange places.

She'll get it. Hang in there!

Old 10-26-2006, 08:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratatosk
When we potty trained DS, we used thick cloth training pants along with plastic pants. You're right, pull ups were like diapers, so he didn't mind soiling those. We still had accidents with the training/plastic pants, but they at least contained the mess. Took a few weeks -- we still used pull ups at night 'cuz I wasn't ready to deal with that issue.

Numerous trips to bathrooms when we were out and about. The novelty issue, I'm sure and he was also trying to get the hang of being able to hold it on the way to the bathroom. He'd suddenly have to go potty while we were out to eat, but we wouldn't make it in time to the bathroom. I usually carried a spare pair of underwear and a plastic bag along with me. Good luck! Just takes time and patience.
My husband thinks that plastic pants will overheat her. We are using those in swimming pool. Thank you for suggestion. Should I bring portable potty or child seat to the store?

Old 10-26-2006, 11:43 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

DS has Cystic Fibrosis -- so we have to keep an eye on him in terms of getting overheated, making sure he gets enough to drink when he's playing outside. We did potty training early this summer and he was fine. And those thick cotton underwear/training pants absorb a lot. Didn't get overheated at all.

I WISH i could've brought a potty chair seat with me to the store or restaurants. I DO bring one for hotel stays though.

Old 10-27-2006, 06:56 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

I don't think it's a step backwards to use pull ups if you're going to be away from a potty for a long time. It takes time for them to build up to being able to hold it in until they can reach a bathroom. My son and I built up to longer journeys without a pull up but accidents will happen it's new to her. I always explained that he was only wearing a pullup because we weren't going to be close to a potty for a while and just incase he had to go and couldn't hold it and it didn't set him back one bit. Special circumstances call for special allowances. Now my son can hold it in while waiting to get home from school on his school bus and sometimes they get stuck in traffic and the ride can be more than an hour.

Closed Thread