It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2006, 07:27 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User
When were your boys potty trained?

My son will be 3 in february. He seems to have little interest in potty training. I tried the frist time exactly when he hit 2 1/2 in August. We used pull ups and put in him on the toilet every 30 minutes. He kind of ended up getting annoyed with it and started saying no when we wanted to sit him on the toilet. Plus he only went in the toilet if we really got lucky and caught him at the right moment. Most of the time he would get off the toilet then wet his pull up 2 minutes later . So now we tried again today and used regular underwear. We sat him on the toilet every 30 minutes and he never went once. Instead he pooped in his underwear twice and peed on the floor shortly after getting off the toilet. Plus he never really wants to use the toilet when you ask him. It is more of me carrying him to it and then he sit on it. Shouldn't he be ready by now? What should I do? Should I keep going or wait? Plus I have to mention cleaning out his underwear was really not fun!!! But neither is changing diapers I guess!

Old 11-06-2006, 09:14 AM   #2
(female)

angelique5 HB User
Re: When were your boys potty trained?

For most of my boys (I have 5 of them!!) 3 was the magic age!

My youngest one though, blew them out of the water by training at an early 2...i attribute it to all the examples he had though!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2006, 09:51 AM   #3
(female)

hannahph HB User

I was exactly in your shoes with my son. He wanted nothing to do with the potty.We did the same thing with the timer and rewards and such and he could have cared less. One day when he was a little over three it just clicked with him. He had to make the decision to do it himself. I know this does not help you but I want you to know this happens with a lot of kids, especially boys.

Old 11-06-2006, 10:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

I have a girl but it is not that much different. She is almost 4 and she started going to potty just recently. She still uses diaper at night. Often at night she changes her diaper and if she poops it quite unpleasant, we have to wash all sheets.
Mostly we shuld be greateful to daycare person. If we tell daycare person that she doesn't use the potty she will give her time-out for 20 min, she doesn't let her play with other kids.
I've read her all that kids potty book, they have versions for girls and for boys. She understood it and repeated it but she didn't want to do it. I still think it helped some. We took potty training class in our community college (one time thing). It gave us some good points.

Old 11-06-2006, 10:25 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

My boys were both weeks away from turning 3 before I potty-trained.

If I were you, I'd put away the "big boy pants" (underwear) and the potty seat for a while. I'd tell him that he's "too little" for that right now. I'd completely drop the subject for a few weeks.

Then, I'd start talking about "big boy underwear" and how great it's going to be when he's "big enough to use the potty". Maybe promise him something special when he's "big enough for it". When he says "But I am big enough", say "No, not yet. But it won't be long". Keep building the excitement for a while until he REALLY wants to try.

When you're ready to try again, let HIM talk YOU into it. Make one of your "when your bigger..." comments. When he insists that he *is* bigger, let him try. If he's successful, have a party!!! Praise him profusely. Call his relatives in front of him to brag on him going potty. Give him a prize. Make it fun!!!

Old 11-06-2006, 12:08 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

It is good to know that he is not getting to be too old yet. I feel kind of embarassed that he is still in diapers and I don't know why. I really hope 3 is the magic number. I was even giving him treats for sitting on the potty even if nothing happened and he still isn't excited about it. He was also extra happy to have his diaper back on. He kind of whined when I put him in big boy underwear and was asking for his diaper. So now that he is back in his diaper he is a happy camper. I don't get that!

Old 11-06-2006, 12:28 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

My daughter is also very concervative. She had used to diaper so she didn't want pants or potty. We gave her m&m when she just sit on the potty so she sit only for a sec to get m@m and then did it in the diaper.
Same way she still wants to use sipper cup while at daycare they don't use it at all.
Overall kids these days have everything nothing exites them.

Old 11-06-2006, 01:33 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

DS's daycare director told us that he thought he was ready. We really didn't see any signs or interest. About a month before he turned three she suggested he was ready and we think about starting potty training. Figure it was peer pressure or the other kids doing the same thing, but he was trained shortly after he turned 3.

We tried just big boy underwear, thinking he would think it was cool. Pull ups were just like diapers. He didn't care. Daycare suggested thick training pants and plastic pants over those. I bought about a dozen and hauled a diaper bag back and forth to daycare for a few weeks. Dreaded going out to dinner or going out in public 'cuz we KNEW it meant numerous trips to public bathrooms and possibly an accident. But eventually, he got it all figured out.
I still use pull ups at night. He's almost always dry, it's mainly because I bought a HUGE box prior to being trained.

Old 11-06-2006, 05:39 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

Have you considered target practice with cheerios or any other round cereal toss them in the toilet and ask him if he can hit them with pee? Kinda takes the pressure off and makes a game of it. Give it a try see what happens

Old 11-06-2006, 05:39 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

Have you considered target practice with cheerios or any other round cereal toss them in the toilet and ask him if he can hit them with pee? Kinda takes the pressure off and makes a game of it. Give it a try see what happens

Old 11-07-2006, 07:04 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

I would suggest not to use training pants they are absorbing almost as good as pull-up. We were recommended to use regular underwear (I bought Hanes) and she is really uncomfortable when it is wet. At first she doesn't want to wear it, it is struggle every step of the way.
Also reading potty books is important. Preferrably choose ones which has real boy not an animal and real potty, some of them have toilet instead of potty or old time pottys which is confusing for a child.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:22 AM   #12
Veteran
(male)

danimal15 HB User

Our first boy was 3.5 when he finally figured it out. I think it was having a new baby brother that did it for him. He didn't want to wear a diaper any longer because he didn't want to be like a baby.

Our second boy showed a great deal of interest around the time he turned two, and was fully trained at 2.5. I think having his older brother around to set an example for him really made the difference. He's almost 3.5 now, and still wears a diaper to bed each night, but takes it off and puts underwear on as soon as he wakes up each day. He has a wetting accident every now and then during the day, but this is becoming more and more rare.

Old 11-10-2006, 06:24 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

I also made a big point to point out who in his daycare was already wearing big boy underwear, I bought him a pair and only let him wear them at home and told him he could start wearing them all the time if he started using the potty, I left him in the wet underwear for a while at home so he could FEEL it and not like it. Then we did practice runs going out for a while and asking him to tell me when he had to pee unfortunately he started liking to pee outside and began to pull down his pants in public but at least he wasn't peeing in his pants. Now we just remind him that grown ups don't pee outside only puppies. At present time he is 4.5 and we only use pullups for long car rides. Good luck it'll click don't worry it's just incredibly frustrating and there is no TIME that he should be potty trained all kids are different.

Closed Thread