It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2006, 12:43 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User
unacceptable behaviour

My almost 4 y. old dd asked me to take her to McDonalds when I picked her up from daycare but I didn't want to do it that day since I was too busy.
She made huge fuss. She didn't want to go home after we came home and was staying in the meedle of parking road crying. I took her home few times and she opened the door and run to the parking lot crying so people start looking. It was huge fight.
I didn't gave in but don't know what is going on here and what should I do next time.

Old 11-22-2006, 01:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User
Re: unacceptable behaviour

I think that is typical 4 year old.I also think you did the right thing by not giving into the tantrum.If you stick to your guns when you say "no" then eventually the child will get that no means no ...you mean business and chances are there will not be any tantrums.
Sometimes when out and my kids say "I wanna go to mcdonalds" I speed up and say "oh sorry kids they looked closed." HA HA! You are doing the right thing maybe add in there "tantrums are not acceptable and when I say "no" I mean no." He may still tossing a fit but like I said stick to your word and eventually he will get it.As far a people staring pfft so what let them stare as if they have'nt seen a child having a temper tantrum many times.

Last edited by tnmomofive; 11-22-2006 at 01:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2006, 12:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

I agree. This is normal 4 year old behavior. Personally, I thought that 4 was *the* hardest age. They have alot of the same tantrums as they did at 2, but we expect them to know better.

Calmly (preferably without yelling) stick to your guns.

There is a great book called "SOS! Help for Parents" by Lynn Clark, PhD. It helped me more than any other when my kids were that age. A counselor recommended it to me. I couldn't find it in a bookstore, but I could order it online.

Old 11-25-2006, 10:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

If a 4 yr. old can run outside without permission this might be a safety issue. Get a lock on the door that she cannot open? I agree with the others, let her have her temper tantrum but she should do it in the house not having you running outside after her multiple times. I heard once that if the parent is working too hard with an issue like this you have to change it so that all of the trouble falls back on the child. If she was having the tantrum in the house you could go about your business until she was done. By you running outside multiple times this causes problems for you. You said that it was a huge fight. It should have been just her having a temper tantrum. The few tantrums that my daughter had I would sit down and calm myself until she was done. I would never get involved in the tantrum, it will just wear you out.

Closed Thread