It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2006, 09:10 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User
naked for potty training?

Well this is interesting. My son is 2 (will be 3 in a couple months) and we are trying to potty train. I bought a potty that plays music and comes with a sticker chart which has really been motivating for him. I have had him be bare bottomed for the past 3 days and he has not peed on the floor once! When he has a BM he got some on the floor and the rest on the toilet hey but at least he tried to make it. The thing is whenever I put a pull up or diaper on him he doesn't even hesitate to go in it. He isn't interested in telling me he has to go or even pulling it down. So he just pees and poops in the diaper no problem and it doesn't even bother him even though he has been using the potty. I am wondering how long he is gonna have to be naked before he realizes he has to pull his pull up/underwear down plus pants to use the potty. My husband doesn't like to see him running around the house with only a shirt on but do I have a choice right now?

Old 12-11-2006, 05:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
Re: naked for potty training?

Besafe-
I have to say that potty training my son was so much more time consuming, harder and frustrating than potty training my daughter! My son did great peeing in the potty, but pooping was a totally different story. Urghh...seemed like it took forever.

I saw you mention diapers and pull ups, but have you tried underwear, or even boxers? This way, he is covered on the bottom half and your husband might be a bit happier with it. I know you said that your son just goes without thinking about having to pull pants, diapers or pull-ups down, but underwear is a totally different feel for them, and doesn't keep the moisture away from their skin.

There really is no wrong way to potty train- you have to figure out what works for each child and go from there. Like I said before, there was little to no effort in potty training my daughter as she seemed to just potty train herself at the age of two. My son was almost 4 years old before he was totally potty trained.

Try putting the "big boy" underwear on your son and let him know that these are special, and need to stay dry and clean. I think the sticker chart is a great thing by the way- maybe you can come up with some sort of sticker/star reward for every time he lets you know he needs to go without going in the big boy underwear?? I took my son with me and let him pick out the big boy underwear he wanted and liked the best. It did seem to help speed up the process a bit.

Best wishes!!

Last edited by ozzybug; 12-11-2006 at 07:25 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2006, 05:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

That's what did it for my son he could not deal with the wet feeling and was out of pull ups , diapers etc within 2 weeks. Peer pressure also helped a little he was three and at daycare where several other kids were wearing REAL underwear already so I jumped on the opportunity. I also made a super big deal out of going underwear shopping and him getting to make the choice of what underwear we bought for him.

Good luck sometimes it requires the patiences of a saint which I'm sorry to say I am not

Old 12-11-2006, 07:59 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

My dd is almost 4 and she is using pull-up at night. If she has pull-up on her it is a signal for her not to use a toilet but do in pull-up.
I will suggest not to use pull-up or training pants but scinny underwear like we bought her set from Hanes. She will really feel wet and will be uncomfi.
You should coordinate with daycare if he goes to one. She had time out if we reported that she didn't use potty but pi in pull-up.
Also you should read to him potty books for kids so he knows what to expect.
My dd for a while was taking out and trying to hide her dirty pants instead of going to potty. It is very painful process at least for us, she was the last in daycare to potty trained in her age category.

Old 12-11-2006, 07:59 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

My dd is almost 4 and she is using pull-up at night. If she has pull-up on her it is a signal for her not to use a toilet but do in pull-up.
I will suggest not to use pull-up or training pants but scinny underwear like we bought her set from Hanes. She will really feel wet and will be uncomfi.
You should coordinate with daycare if he goes to one. She had time out if we reported that she didn't use potty but pi in pull-up.
Also you should read to him potty books for kids so he knows what to expect.
My dd for a while was taking out and trying to hide her dirty pants instead of going to potty. It is very painful process at least for us, she was the last in daycare to potty trained in her age category.

Closed Thread