It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2006, 12:40 PM   #1
(female)

Cindy_S74 HB User
How to get her to tell me she has to use bathroom

My daughter is 3 years old. Have been potty training her off and on since before 2. Just now started back doing it every hour to 2 hours. She will pee everytime I take her but she will not tell me she has to go. Wakes up every morning dry. She will not tell me when she needs to poop either. She will go hide then come back and tell me to change her. I have tried rewards, candy, etc. You name it. She loves Dora, so right now I have Dora stickers hanging on my bathroom wall and I told her when she poops she have them. When she pees I will give her stickers also but not the Dora one's.

Old 12-12-2006, 12:54 PM   #2
(male)

SufferingEd HB User
Re: How to get her to tell me she has to use bathroom

I've heard not to push them to hard, it can take longer. I was lucky, my son pretty much trained himself. My daughter was a little harder. We had the same problem as your having. Is your daughter still in diapers? Ours was, so we put underwear on her. Made for one long messy week but it worked. Diapers soak up the urine and hold the "poo." The underwear made it much more uncomfortable when she did go. She cried everytime she wet, but it worked. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2006, 12:58 PM   #3
(female)

Cindy_S74 HB User

Pull ups. I have tried panties or the training panties and my husband fusses because it makes a mess so back to pull ups. She had panties on yesterday and wet in them and when my husband put a pull up back on her she cried. How long did it take your daughter to finally tell you that she had to go?

Old 12-12-2006, 01:07 PM   #4
(male)

SufferingEd HB User

I was like your husband and wanted to put her back in pull ups. My wife stays home so I left it up to her and she kept our daughter in underwear. it has been over a year but I would say she could tell us after about 5 days. She could tell us earlier but was confused on when to tell us. She would tell us and two seconds later pee.

Old 12-12-2006, 01:20 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

happymom28 HB User

I had similar problems with my daughter. Right around her 3rd birthday we had her in underwear during the day, but we would put in a pull up at night, just in case. She would be really good all day going pee when she had to, but she wouldn't poop. She actually would wait until bedtime when she put on her pull up, hide in the corner, then poop. My husband told me "That's it, no more pull ups". I was so affraid she would pee the bed, but he insisted it would work and there wouldn't be any problems. As much as I hate to admit it, he was right. Not having the pull up forced her to have to poop in the potty and, 2 years later, we haven't had a problem since.

Old 12-12-2006, 02:11 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

Mine will be 4 next month and right now she still wear diaper at night. My husband and daycare person wants her no diaper at all. I am still hesitant.
We went through tuff period with toilet training, she is the oldest at daycare who is still wearing diaper at night.
You have to take diaper (pull-up) off and put up with the mess, 'cause my dd would never go to toilet if she has a diaper or even training pants since they are sick enough. It is nasty but your dh should accept it, it is part of parenting.
Also you should coordinate with daycare, my dd was punished by timeout if we reported that she does it in her pants. She was trying to hide wet pants, secretly change wet clothes.
It is helpful to read potty training books for kids so she knows what to do. Once which have girls who are going to potty not animals are better.

Old 12-12-2006, 02:42 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

We used thick cloth training pants and plastic pants over those. Think I bought a dozen and a half pairs and carried a diaper bag back and forth to daycare for a few weeks. Pull ups didn't work for us because they still worked like diapers and DS wasn't uncomfortable. It was frustrating because we didn't dare go anywhere for too long for fear of an accident and I was doing laundry every night. But eventually it worked.

We still us pull ups at night, but he wakes up dry every morning. I stocked up on them prior to potty training and am not quite ready to risk him not wearing them at night.

We have an accident once in a while, but it's usually when he's engrossed in something and won't take the time to tell us he has to go and tells us he doesn't need to go when we ask.

Old 12-20-2006, 12:58 AM   #8
(female)

heziggy HB User

oh my gosh!! It's my son reincarnated. We started trying around age 2 and did it on and off for quite awhile. We tried pullups and even undies. Nothing worked. We did the 1-2hr gig, same thing, would go but not tell us any other time. It got to the point where even the sight of the potty put my son into hysterics. We got int screaming matches, he even began hitting. I got to the point that I would have him sit in the potty on the floor or stool until he decided to go. Then, for some freaky reason,3wks before his 4th b-day, he decided he did not want to wear a diaper or pullup to bed. (He hadn't wet at night for several months) I said fine because I did not feel like fighting anymore. He remained dry.. In the a.m., he decided not to wear one to camp and once again, said fine. Threw in a bunch of pnts and undies and sent him on his way. Since that day, we have had 3 accidents during the day. It has now been4 mths.

I learned that the best thing to do is to sit back, relax, and your daughter will soon grasp the idea. Just give her a little time.

P.S. The thought of no big party for his birthday may have helped a little. Bribery sometimes does work. HAHAHAHA

Closed Thread