It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2006, 12:11 PM   #1
(female)

mumof3at21 HB User
Food issues

My 2.5yr old daughter won’t eat much food. She will eat pretty well for a maximum of 3 days and then she will go downhill, refusing any food at all, and this will last for a few weeks at a time.
We end up having to give her ‘junk food’ to keep her strength up and lots of milk. I have also now resorted to giving her Tonic twice daily to try and bring her appetite back. I have tried all sorts of different foods, but she just won’t try anything new. I am at my wits end with her eating habits, but I am not worried as she is still gaining weight. Please help.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Old 12-19-2006, 07:20 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

firenice HB User
Re: Food issues

Have you seen a medical doctor about this? What about a psychologist? At this time, without much information, I can only suggest that every single behavior or sets of behaviors arises out of some need. It may be a distorted percetpion of a need - that is, it may not be a real need, just a fabricated need (more like a deep seated want). Nevertheless, all our behavior arises out of this need/want. You need to become a detective and try and find out what need/want is being satisfied by this behavior. Not an easy task. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2006, 06:26 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Mum, I wouldn't give her junk food to get her to eat. This could turn into a set pattern where she will only eat junk food. If she isn't too skinny I wouldn't worry about it. When my children were small I was told that you look at how they ate the whole week not just one day. If she eats well half the week this is okay. If she is hungry she will eat. What is tonic? I wouldn't make a mountain out of a molehill. You have your hands full enough, don't make it harder on yourself by worrying over things that you don't have to worry about.

Last edited by Sannah; 12-20-2006 at 06:29 AM.

Old 12-21-2006, 07:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger_girl76 HB User

I agree with Sannah..I wouldn't cave in and give her junk food just to get her to eat. You will end up with a toddler who demands nothing but junk food and then you will have big problems. Trust me I know how scary and frustrating it is when it seems like your child doesn't eat enough. I have a 15 month old who basically just picks at food and doesn't have a big appetite. Some days she will impress us and eat great and then about 4 days follow when she hardly eats at all. My aunt has a granddaughter who will eat great on one day and then eat nothing but a cracker the next day. A toddler will not starve him/herself. Just try not to worry and continue to offer your little one healthy meals/snacks.

Take care and good luck.

Old 12-21-2006, 07:15 AM   #5
(female)

InsaneMom HB User

My daughter did this kind of thing and her doctor told me not to let her win by giving her junk food because she would eat it. As long as she is gaining weight don't worry about it and she WILL eat when she gets hungry enough. She will start to figure out that if she doesn't eat for a while that you will give her what she wants it will become a long term problem. Good luck but I would let her be hungry for a while before I started worrying about it unless a doctor told you she has to eat everyday...

Old 03-17-2007, 07:17 PM   #6
(female)

hummingbird0414 HB User

lol, I have the same problem with my son who is almost 19mo. It is extremely discouraging, but I find that there are a few things that he will eat (cheese, yogurt, muffins, sometimes even some fruit) so I just push those things.
One thing you could try, is take some fruit sauce, like apple, or whatever your child likes, and make popsicles with it. THey are so good, and what kid does not like popsicles?!

Closed Thread