It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2006, 05:23 PM   #1
(female)

sdjansen HB User
How/when to switch 18 month old to bed

My ds is 18 months old and I have been recently thinking about getting him a toddler bed. He likes his crib and doesnt try to climb out but I am expecting baby number 2 in april and I would like to use DS's crib for #2. I am worried about doing more harm then good though because he loves his crib and sleeps very well and I think if he had a bed he would be too tempted to get up and play throughout the night. Plus I dont know how he would handle seeing baby #2 in his crib. I would like to make any big changes now so he has plenty of time to adjust before baby arrives, I am moving him into "the big boy room", currently my office,after the new year so his room can be the nursery. Does anyone have any suggestions on when and how to switch beds and stuff.

Old 12-25-2006, 05:38 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

dompierre5 HB User
Re: How/when to switch 18 month old to bed

Hi! Congratulations on baby #2! I think that 4 months is a long time in the life of a toddler. I had 20 month old twins when I got preg for baby #3.
I understand having to "move to the next stage" if you will for next baby. I would just do it. Make a big deal about the Big Boy thing. I placed extra pillows on the floor beside the toddler beds just in case of a fall out of bed.
It worked just fine and they adjusted just fine. Now they're 9 and 7.
Hope this helps a little. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2006, 08:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Sdjansen, I agree with dompierre, don't make a big deal out of it if your son isn't. I would think that moving him 2 months before the birth of his sibling would be sufficient. My oldest daughter hated change so I made up the new room and we went to visit it for a few days and lay on the bed etc. and talked about this being her new room before I made the change. I used a bed rail on a regular twin bed. I don't know anything about toddler beds.

Old 12-26-2006, 09:08 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

happymom28 HB User

Congratulations!

Does your son have any one thing he really likes? My dd loved Dora the Explorer when it was time for her to move to a big girl bed. So along with getting the new bed, the bedrails to help keep her in, etc., I got her a new Dora bedding set to go with it. She loved it. She also did like getting up out of bed to explore. We had to put a safety gate at her door so if she did get up she couldn't get into anything. We still kept a baby monitor in her room so we could keep an ear on things.

He may be a little put off being moved into another room for the baby. Make his being the big boy and the big brother a big deal. Be sure he is surrounded with familiar and comforting things to make the transition easier. He may do well at first, but expect him to regress a little when you bring the baby home. The jealousy is normal and will hopefully be short lived. You are very wise to do it sooner rather than later so he can adapt to this change before all the ones coming soon.

Congrats again!

Old 12-26-2006, 02:41 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

sem627 HB User

I really agree with the baby gate at the door. We did this with both my daughers when they transistioned into a twin bed. Toddler beds don't last very long, so I wouldn't go to a big expense there. Anyway, from night #1 in the bed, we used the gate at the door. This also taught them that once they were in bed, they were to stay there and not wander out among the house. My girls are now 6 and 4 and they never have come out of their rooms after bedtime. (Well, now, of course they do in the morning when they wake up, but they know once it's bedtime, there isn't any fooling around and getting out of bed) We stopped using the gate long ago, but I will definitely use them again when our son (only 8 months old now) is ready for a bed.

Another thing, don't remember if it was posted in another reply, but try a couple naps in the new room to help transistion. I did that with my oldest daughter who wasn't quite 2 when I had my second. After a nap or two in there (with a lot of talking it up), she was really ready for nighttime...even before I was!

Good luck!

Closed Thread