It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2007, 09:57 PM   #1
(female)

iLoVeMySaiLoR HB User
4 year old not interested in learning ABC's

Hi everyone. My son is 4 and will be starting kindergarten this fall. He doesn't know his ABC's very well at all. We sit down together every afternoon but he just does not want anything to do with it. He's a very smart boy and I know he can do it if he tries but he just wont. Im worried sick about him starting school and not knowing the basics. I've tried online games, video games, books, etc that have to do with the alphabet but nothing seems to be working. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks a bunch!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2007, 10:13 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User
Re: 4 year old not interested in learning ABC's

He's 4 years old! Most 4 year old boys have no interest in learning anything. They want to play and have fun in their lives.

Kindergarten should be for teaching them if you really want to do kindergarten. In my personal opinion that still way to early for most boys - they just aren't ready for it frankly.

In any case, I'd relax and not even worry about it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2007, 12:20 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

firenice HB User

4 years is a little early to be worried. However, you might want to do a little experimenting and discover your son's predominate "channel" for learning. That is, some kids learn better visually and others verbally. Some learn best by hands on, touching, doing...You mentioned online games, video games and books, most all of which are highly visual. But, what about letter blocks that he holds and touches. What about coupling holding letter blocks and singing the letters out loud. Generally, if you can use all three channels in learning, visual, auditory and touch, you have a much better chance of the information getting through.

Old 01-10-2007, 05:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

I agree with PinkPiglet. With my first daughter I thought that this early learning was crazy so I didn't work with her very much at all because I thought that prekindergarten was just too young. Once she got to kindergarten she was fine and now she is at the top of her class in 2nd grade always doing work above grade level. Maybe your constant focus on it and worrying is stressing him out about it and making it worse?

Old 01-10-2007, 12:33 PM   #5
(female)

iLoVeMySaiLoR HB User

Thanks for the replies. Jake will be 5 in April so its not as if he just turned 4. He's going to start kindergarten this september. Im sure my stressing has something to do with it and I definitely dont want to push him, you know? But at the same time, I want him to be prepared. He had a check up a few months ago and his pediatrician told me that if he doesnt know his ABC's, how to spell and write his name, count to 10 and be able to recite his address and phone number then he will be behind come kindergarten and that just got me really nervous.

Old 01-10-2007, 12:40 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

My dd just turned 4. I know she is studying at daycare but with me she almost never wants to do it. I've heard about "kummon" where they have lessons and giving homework but my dh is afraid of turning her off. Do search on it and take her son there, these classes are fairly unexpensive. I'd rather her be boared than be behind.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:52 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

I am a kindergarten teacher and I also say, don't worry about it yet. You can do a lot of other things that he will enjoy and that will help him be just as prepared for kindergarten, without all the stress. Here you go:

Read to him everyday, as much as he'll allow.
Take him to the public library for story times and puppet shows and let him check out books.
Play with him. Children who have the best social play skills at the kindergarten level believe it or not, tend to have the highest test scores by the time they are in fourth grade. Social play helps them to develop language, pre-reading and pre-math skills, as well as creativity and creativity is related to IQ. Invite other kids to play with him as well. Playing house, doctor, store, etc. help with reading and playing with things like blocks and legos are related to later math skills.
Take him places with you and talk, talk, talk about everything.
Get him a placemat for the dinner table with letters and numbers on it. Don't drill him with it, just let him use it and eventually he will get interested.
Get some magnetic letters for the fridge and let him do the same thing with those.
Give him plenty of puzzles, playdough and children's scissors so he can develop his small muscles (used for writing) and further develop his creativity.
Give him a hole punch and lots of paper to help him develop his small muscle skills.
Provide paper, crayons, markers, etc. and let him use those as he is interested.

I realize you may already be doing many of these things and if you are, just continue to do what you are doing. Children can be resistant one day and literally ready to do something the very next day. Maturity is like that. When they are ready, they are ready. Until they are, there really is little you can do about it.

Nancy

Old 01-11-2007, 11:24 AM   #8
(female)

iLoVeMySaiLoR HB User

Thank you Nancy for your response. I never realized all those things were related to his learning. We already do do a lot of those things. He's very smart and is like a sponge when anyone tells him anything so I do have confidence that he can learn it if he puts his mind to it. I will start worrying less and playing and reading and talking more. Thanks again

Old 01-17-2007, 08:47 PM   #9
(female)

Msminnamouse HB User

Even if he is too young to learn them, do you wanna know what will DEFINABLY work atleast a little?

Buy alphabet cookies cutters and make cookies. Work with him on what each one is. When he gets one right, he gets a cookie.

That would make me learn latin if I got to get a cookie each time I was right!

Old 01-18-2007, 05:14 PM   #10
(female)

iLoVeMySaiLoR HB User

Thats a really good idea! I wonder why I never thought about that. Thanks!

Old 01-19-2007, 08:04 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

That is a great idea! I may just have to try that one out in my kindergarten class. I LOVE it!

And, you are welcome for the advice.

Nancy

Old 01-23-2007, 12:58 AM   #12
(female)

nikki2006 HB User

how about a music tape, just have it going in the back ground when hes doing other things.. I have a 4 and a half year old and the other week i heard him singing a song of the raido.. he didnt even realise he new it, but he'd heard it often and obviously just caught the tune so perhaps that could be an option. i wouldnt be suprised if your song does no his abc's but just isnt intrested in it. I really dont think you have anything at all to worry about, he will learn everything he needs to learn at his pace!

Old 01-25-2007, 05:32 PM   #13
(female)

liver99 HB User

You could also try using pretzels-the straight ones and have him make the letters. Or Alphabet cereal or soup.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:04 PM   #14
(female)

kissy1970 HB User

My son was the same way. Could write his first name when he entered Kindergarten, but that's about it. He eventually caught on and really was never "behind" the other kids. Now he's in third grade and just got all A's and one B+ on his report card!! Don't worry...your son will pick it up when he's ready!

Old 02-23-2007, 09:50 PM   #15
(female)

aurora1119 HB User

The kindergarten teacher gave great advice.
Also, you have to be more subtle now since he doesn't like to sit down and work with you. (most kids don't unless they think it is fun)
I suggest you get a tape of ABC sounds (Sounds Like Fun by Discovery Toys is the one I used, there are others) and have hiim listen to that while he plays with his toys. He won't realize it but he will be learning phonics.
After about a month, you could hold up the letter unexpectedly when it gets to the first letter of his name, and say, "that's your letter" with a big smile. When he gets used to seeing that letter, with you laughing evry time you present it to make it fun, then you can perhaps (like a week later) say, that's my letter, when he says the M sound (I'm mom!) and you hold up the m card. So now you are holding up 2 cards each time you interact with him with that song. Go gradually, do D for dad, g for grandma, slowly slowly.
Show him how to write his name so he can, say, sign a b-day card for someone or some other need that you can invent. If he won't do the whole name, just have him write his first letter. You smile and make it fun and do not show him exactly how to do this. The idea is that this is fun, and if you show him, it's not fun anymore. He has to develop a positive attitude before you can advance, so the idea is to make it like a game, forget about perfection right now.
Once you have gotten some letters, you could just one day have the word "up" way up on the wall and the word "down" way down near the floor taped to your wall. You could ever so casually and with a big smile say, Hey, look at this. See if your son is willing to spell each word and tell him what that word is. Only those 2 words, for a couple of weeks. Very casual. You will perhaps be able to speed up a little faster, but first he has to associate it with being a game.
Ilearned the hard way to make this kind of learning really fun. Always use an upbeat tone of voice and stop immediately if your child shows any sign of being bored or irritated. You can lose a lot of progress if you try to pressure him to continue when he doesn't want to.

Closed Thread