It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2007, 06:19 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User
Question School concerns

Dear board buddies, this is my situation. My child has gotten suspended for taking a pocket knife to school. The thing is that they said he could possibly be expelled as other classmates say he threatened them, wich my son said he did not, and i think i believe him, hes not usually in trouble. He has a disability of ADHD. I am in the state of Michigan and the school told me that if he gets expelled he will not be able to go to a ny school in the state for one year. Does anyone know if this is true??

help for Monkey

Old 01-20-2007, 05:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User
Re: School concerns

I am so sorry this happened. Every state and school district are different. Here in our area if you get expelled you can go to school in another district. The first thing I would do, if you haven't already done it, is to set up a meeting with the teacher and the principal together so you can get all the details. I would then wait to see what happens and if he does get expelled (hopefully not since it is his first offense) you may want to contact an attorney.

Good luck!

Nancy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2007, 05:52 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

firenice HB User

If you son is receiving special education services at the school because of his disability, there are certain rules and regulations the school must follow regarding expulsion. In some states, I believe, they are not allowed to expel a special ed student. If you son is special ed, IDEA, and has an IEP you should read through carefully the parental rights document and do a bit of research regarding explusion of special education students.

Old 01-20-2007, 06:45 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

Board buddies, we have already had a meeting, i will find out Tuesday or Wnesday if hes expelled. He only has ever qualified for a 504 plan for his adhd disability wich i beliee doesn't give him any rights under laws with the discipline part.

Love, Monkey

Old 01-21-2007, 10:39 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User

How old is he? I have a child with ADHD and one with Aspergers and if they had ever taken a pocket knife to school I'd be livid with them! They know better then that. It wouldn't matter to me if they have ADHD or not.

I'm assuming that you've disciplined him at home as well. I know a lot of school districts are being very strict about this sort of thing and it's a one strike you're out policy. You may want to start looking into homeschooling him for the year.

We homeschool our kids now and actually love it. We'd never put them back into the system if we can help it. Life is so much easier for them and me at home.

Old 01-21-2007, 12:55 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

He is alomost 14 and yes knows very well, and his adhd is no excuse at all. Yes his punishment is as harsh as you can be were the states concerned, if you know what i mean. He has no outside, no computer, no friends over and the list goes on! I think if he does get expelled i may look at home schooling but his other choice would be Juvinile school and i don't think i want that except i know my nephew is doing very well there.

take care , Monkey

Old 01-21-2007, 08:36 PM   #7
(male)

Dang12 HB User

This is truly a terrible situation. If he gets expelled he either is a year behind or you have to move to another state.

Did he really threaten anyone? How did they find the knife? Just make sure you know ALL the details and not asking alot of questions.

I just moved from New York, and they have a zero tolerance policy for bringing weapons into schools. This is a true story: A girl in 11th grade at the high school was cutting an orange with a metal knife bought from home. She was immediately expelled and their family had to move out of state.

Old 01-21-2007, 10:50 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User

Just because someone is expelled for the year doesn't mean they are automatically a year behind. You can easily homeschool for the year. There is a lot of great curriculum (both books and online) that you can use.

I cannot imagine why on earth you'd have to move out of state. That just makes no sense at all. After all it's just for the year.

Any way, when you get all the details it'll be much easier to come up with a plan. And yes, ask all sorts of questions. Make sure you know everything there is to know about it!

Sure hope it all works out for you and your son.

Old 01-21-2007, 11:05 PM   #9
(male)

Dang12 HB User

I always thought that in order to homeschool your children, you had to be a licensed teacher.

Old 01-21-2007, 11:08 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User

No you don't have to be a licenced teacher. At least not in most places. I don't personally know of any place where you do have to be.

Old 01-22-2007, 01:14 AM   #11
(male)

Dang12 HB User

Yea I really thought you had to be a teacher. Im not sure how homeschooling would work. Will a school even accept the information he has learned that year and not hold him back a grade?

Old 01-22-2007, 05:43 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

Dang, it was said that he did threaten two kids, but thier investigating as he said he didn't. He found the knife and said he didn't realize it was in his pocket before getting to school and showed other kids and they told, so i guess he was flaunting it but i will be getting all the details later this week. If they think it was unintentional and he wasn't threating anyone then they won't expell him.

Love, Monkey

Old 01-22-2007, 05:45 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

Dang, you do not have to be a teacher and i have some friend(moms) that did this successfully and thier child graduated!
Love, Monkey

Old 01-22-2007, 05:47 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

pink, you are right you don't have to move, and as for the adhd part i think i would make a better teacher for him even without a degree because i swear some of these teacher just want medication to solve all!

Love, Monkey

Closed Thread