It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2007, 02:06 PM   #1
(male)

JacksDad HB User
Unhappy Worried about teen driving

Hi All,

I am new to the group so this question may seem a bit odd. I am becoming increasingly worried about my own son getting behind the wheel (even though he's a few years off) and am wondering if anyone out there has heard of any devices to reduce the speed of a car automatically. I've Googled but found nothing yet.

Would any other parents of teens be interested in seeing something like this available for our kids?

Am I going to far?

Thanks

Old 01-21-2007, 04:30 PM   #2
(female)

tigerlilyx61 HB User
Re: Worried about teen driving

JacksDad...I have not heard of devices that reduce speed automatically but have heard of a device you can install, hidden if I'm not mistaken, where the speed is recorded. Have you heard of this? Sounded pretty cool to me and if I had had the money I would have definitely bought it. It was a little pricey I thought. I googled device to monitor teens speed and found bunches of stuff. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2007, 07:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

Oh how I understand your fear. We have been there twice and are going to go through it again in nine years. Maybe by then we'll be too old to care, LOL! The night that our oldest, who was 16 then, took the car out alone (he was only going five minutes away to check his work schedule) I paced the floor and prayed, literally, the whole time he was gone. It was the longest half hour of my life!

I don't know about any devices like that, but something that seems to work well for us is making the boys pay for their own insurance every six months. If they are a safe driver, take the course that our insurance company, State Farm offers (an excellent video course and driving log) and keep their grades up, they get reduced rates, reduced by literally hundreds of dollars. Knowing that if they get a ticket or have an at fault accident really has done a great job at motivating them to be more careful. We took them both to the insurance company as soon as they got their operator's licenses and the people there also did a great job emphasizing to them that they needed to be careful and told them what they needed to do to keep the rates down. It has also been a great motivator for our high schooler to keep his grades up too!

Nancy

Old 01-21-2007, 08:28 PM   #4
(male)

Dang12 HB User

I wouldnt assume your son is going to be speeding and driving recklessly. When I got my license, my parents talked to me about driving the speed limit and being safe but they didnt install systems that monitored my speed.

Even with a low amount of supervision, I turned out to be a very good driver. I have never gotten into an accident or gotten a ticket. Basically what I am saying is dont assume he will be a stereotypical young male at the wheel.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:03 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

LisaFaith HB User

I have 3 boys ages 7, 5, and 2. My husband is a Highway Patrol officer and he already freaks out at the thought of our kids driving! He has seen so many tragic accidents caused by young drivers being, well, teenagers who think they're invincable.

BioAdoptMom3 makes a good point about making kids pay for insurance and maintain good grades. That's how it worked for me. I had to pay for my insurance, gas and general upkeep on the car. Plus I had to maintain a 3.0 GPA. My parents told me that driving was a priviledge, and if I abused it I lost it. And the important thing was that they followed through. My grades dropped one semester, and I lost my car for the next semester. Also, if I got any tickets, I would lose the car until I was 18. I did get stopped once for speeding, but cried my way out of a ticket. After that I was much more careful about my speed.

My husband and I bought a used truck about six or seven years ago that had a governor on it, so it wouldn't go over 60mph. I don't know if it was installed at the factory, or if it was an after-matket thing though.

Closed Thread