It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2007, 03:35 PM   #1
(female)

vsmom HB User
Weaning 2 1/2 year old from breast.

I'm at my end. I nursed her all the way thru my pregnancy with #2. Weaned her with about two months to go and thought she wouldn't want it after baby was born. Was I ever wrong. My little guy is now 7 months and they nurse together. I don't mind really but she wants it in public and is constantly feeling me up. She loves it so much and I hate to take it away but its time. I tried putting mustard on my nipples right before she would nurse and she never even noticed. I think itd be ok if I wasn't nursing another baby. She's just now getting jealous and really wants to be the baby. We were almost potty trained and now back to full time diapers. How to I encourage her to be a big girl? the rewards don't really work....stickers, stamps all that. Do I just say no and deal with the meltdowns???? Thanks moms!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2007, 04:31 PM   #2
(female)

ElfieNLynx HB User
Re: Weaning 2 1/2 year old from breast.

I was in the same boat. When my son was 2 1/2 I decided that I was done breastfeeding, but apparently he wasn't going to let go without a fight.
He was doing it for comfort, mostly for naps and at bedtime. I really can't give any amazing advice, since I was very tough when it came down to it.

I immediately stopped bfing for naps, it made him immensely sad and he cried but I explained to him that he is a big boy and mommy is running out of milk. I tried different approaches like rubbing his tummy or bum and singing to him. Afterwards I stopped with bedtime feedings. It was hard and hurtful to me but he got over it.

As for your little girl, why not when nursing your baby, have your daughter nurse one of her dolls. Encourage her to be "mommy", that way she might not feel so jealous and it will educate her a little. Explain to her that the new baby needs your milk to make her brother strong and healthy like her.

Also maybe make sure that after you nurse your baby, make time for you and her. Play a game or do some girly thing like dress up or makeup to make her feel that connection without the breast.

I'm not going to lie to you, it will be hard, but don't give up!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2007, 05:33 PM   #3
(female)

vsmom HB User

Thanks so much. Spending good quality one on one time with her seems to be what she's really wanting. The doll idea is a great one! I'll let you know how it goes!

Old 02-21-2007, 05:42 PM   #4
(female)

tigerlilyx61 HB User

Hi vsmom. I liked elfie's idea about having your daughter nurse a doll. Another idea I was thinking is to tell her in a matter-of-fact voice that mommy can't nurse her anymore because you don't have enough milk for the new baby and also she IS getting to be a big girl BUT, how about I either read you a book or we can have some snuggle time. You pick what the 2 options/choices will be. That way you are giving her some control over the situation which sounds to me may be the bigger picture in this situation. Like efie said, no matter what you do she probably won't be happy but, at least you are letting her choose what she wants to do. Good luck

Old 02-25-2007, 09:55 AM   #5
(female)

DayDreaminMama HB User

Wow - now I feel so much better because I was also there two summers ago. It surely doesn't feel that long ago. Anyways, my oldest was also nursed, but she stopped when I was about 5 mos along pregnant with my youngest. I guess my body was making my milk taste much different to prepare for the baby cause she started making faces at me being all confused every time she'd tried, so she just simply gave up on her own and while I was sad about it, I felt relived as I didn't want to tandem nurse. I thought my youngest would stop around the same age, but much to my surprise, she still nursed at 2 and so finally it came to that point where I had enough and didn't want to continue nursing, once again I was sad because I knew our bond over nursing would be gone. I was always the one my kids wanted until they got older, they now run to Daddy for just about everything. I know it's probably just a phrase and they do tend to switch off alot between Daddy and I.
Anyways, good luck on the weaning process. It took like 3 mos for me and it was very tiring because my youngest would cry and cling on to me but we made it thru. I just talked to her and said that Mama's milk was going bye bye cause she was a big girl now. And while that made her sad, it helped.

[QUOTE=ElfieNLynx;2813414]I was in the same boat. When my son was 2 1/2 I decided that I was done breastfeeding, but apparently he wasn't going to let go without a fight.
He was doing it for comfort, mostly for naps and at bedtime. I really can't give any amazing advice, since I was very tough when it came down to it.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:56 AM   #6
(female)

plainjayne HB User

she doesnt need to be 'weaned' is not as if she is being introduced to food she is old enough to be told enough is enough i would be harsh and just stop she will get over it eventually

Closed Thread