It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2007, 11:14 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User
Should I let 4 year old use the stove?

My 4 year old dd has interest in cooking. She heated macaroni under supervision. I am still feel uneasy about letting her deal with the stove.
Is she old enough?

Old 02-28-2007, 11:23 AM   #2
(female)

dfroman1166 HB User
Re: Should I let 4 year old use the stove?

NO!
Wait awhile-let her help you mix ingredients and measure. Maybe at 6 or even 7. You would feel awful if one day she decides to "cook for mom". It would literally take her 2 seconds to turn on the heat with your back turned and then she may burn herself.
In my opinion she's too young.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2007, 11:28 AM   #3
(female)

ElfieNLynx HB User

Wow, I think that is pretty amazing that your 4yr has such an interest, but I think it is best that you continue to supervise her.

Even if she does know how to handle a stove, she is just 4 and can still get really hurt. My grandmother burned her whole arm on a stove when she was just 10, because she misjudged; imagine what could happen to a 4 year old.

My best advice is to continue to educate her. Explain to her that a stove is NOT a toy, and can injure her. That she must NEVER use the stove without you standing right there. Also always have her tell you how to work a stove and what the rules are; I do this with my son, if something can harm him I make him tell me why and how.

Still and all, continue to educate her on cooking, it will help her when she gets older. Good luck

Old 02-28-2007, 12:06 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User

Let her help you with jello pudding, rice krispie squares, cake mixes, measuring things, etc but I wouldn't let her anywhere near the stove! I can't imagine what would happen if she tried to cook you breakfast in bed one day or got up in the middle of the night and was hungry.

There are a lot of things she can do that do not include hot elements.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPiglet View Post
Let her help you with jello pudding, rice krispie squares, cake mixes, measuring things, etc but I wouldn't let her anywhere near the stove! I can't imagine what would happen if she tried to cook you breakfast in bed one day or got up in the middle of the night and was hungry.

There are a lot of things she can do that do not include hot elements.

I have to agree with you, she may very well try to do it myself when she is unsupervised. I leave her in front of tv and go change after work quite often. I can use her to do something else, may be use microwave or toaster.

Old 02-28-2007, 01:07 PM   #6
(female)

dfroman1166 HB User

Well... Maybe the microwave if she knows what she can and can't put in there. But again, I think the toaster is a big no,no. I had a friend get an electrical shock when she was 9 yrs old from the toaster. I've even done it before-get the toast out with a knife or spoon-very dangerous. Kids love to mix and help crack eggs and use the measuring cups!

Old 02-28-2007, 07:41 PM   #7
(female)

hfalk95 HB User

My 4 year old loves her easy bake oven, they are reasonally priced and fairly safe. I store it in the top of the pantry so she dosen't try to set it up her self.
Heather

Old 03-01-2007, 01:12 AM   #8
(female)

nikki2006 HB User

wow, 4 year old an a oven, no way!!

I have a story, just to illistrate the dangers a little..

I used to babysit a 4 year old boy.. i was employed to take care of just him.. well in this house there was also another family, and i would arrive to look after this little boy to find that the two kids from the other family were alone in the hosue without adult supervision.. one day i arrived to find the 10 year old boy cooking himself a toasted sandwitch on the stove.. well, he had added to much oil and left the stove going, the fry pan went up in flames!!!!!!

he was 10 and far to young!

like others have suggested, extend your daughters love of cooking thru making non bake foods, or let her to do the mixing and such while YOU do things that require use of the oven and teach her she is NOT allowed to touch the stove.. if you think she is likley to try while you are not there i would turn it off at the wall...

I think microwaves are dangerous too.. somethings shouldnt go in microwaves becasue it can blow them up... like metal spoons..

i really think she is too young for cooking involving heat.., great that she likes cooking tho, when she is MUCH older, she can cook your dinner!

Old 03-01-2007, 11:01 AM   #9
(female)

confrustrated HB User

I agree with the other posters. Making things that don't involve the stove are probably your best bet. Keep in mind also that the age for an easy bake oven is about 8 (I think). My niece is 5 and she got one for christmas. This still get hot and can cause burns so just use close, constant supervision if you decide on this. My other thought is this - Lets say you decide to let your daughter help use the stove. You tell yourself 'she would never use it when I'm not around' You teach her and tell her that it isn't safe. But she is only 4 and how many 4 year olds listen to everything they are told? You don't want to make yourself say "If only...."
Use your best judgement. Some stoves have the 'child lock' but they are usually the expensive high tech ones.
Sara

Old 03-01-2007, 12:23 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by galinaqt View Post
I have to agree with you, she may very well try to do it myself when she is unsupervised. I leave her in front of tv and go change after work quite often. I can use her to do something else, may be use microwave or toaster.
Gal-
Please don't get upset, but I would advise against even allowing her to use the microwave. The reason I say this is because I know of someone who allowed their child to use the microwave and one day, her daughter was heating some of the microwave mac & cheese in the microwave. Her mom was right there in the kitchen loading the dishwasher.

Well, all of the sudden, this little girl screamed out in pain. Her mom looked up and saw that when her daughter was taking the mac & cheese from the microwave, she had tipped the container and the boiling hot cheese sauce and some of the noodles had spilled onto her hands and arms. She had blisters from the heat.

I think sometimes we tend to forget just how hot things get in the microwave. I have personally burned myself taking the plastic film covering off things out of the microwave and gotten blisters from the steam.

I think it's wonderful that your daughter has taken such an interest in cooking, especially since this is something the two of you can do together and have "Mommy/Daughter" bonding time. It will also give her some valuable life skills. Because she is only 4 years old, it may be best to keep her away from any of the heating appliances for now and, as the other posters suggested, allow her to do the mixing, frosting, seasoning, etc.

Take care and enjoy teaching your little girl some great recipes!

Last edited by ozzybug; 03-01-2007 at 12:24 PM.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:54 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

brook65 HB User
Wink Re: Should I let 4 year old use the stove?

Hi I would say that if she has an interest in cooking, then allow her to do say the mixing of the ingredients in a bowl, putting the mixture into tins, paper cups etc.

But keep her away from the oven, EVEN when you are using it!

Last edited by brook65; 03-01-2007 at 01:54 PM.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:59 PM   #12
(female)

mommyjen25 HB User

i love kids at that age my son is 3 he loves doing everything to he loves to help me clean the house i have 2 mops and hell use one and ill use 1 well play bumper mops all the time we make everything into a game. but with the stove i have to agree with everybody else and the micrpwave and toaster them 3 are very hot. i still remember when i was pregnat i was cooking instant potatos in the microwave i pulled it out to soon and it was to hot i dropped it on my bare foot that hurt so much i was just glad it didnt burn my stomache or anything i cant imagine if a 4 year old burns themself. you can still teach your daughter to cook but i also agree with the mixing right now. my son loves mixing stuff with me and he loves licking the spoon afterwards to i love to bake alot so hes always helping me with that stuff.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:14 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hangin in There HB User

Are you KIDDING?????? NOOOO!!!!!!

She can tear lettuce or stir things, but needs to stay far away from fire!

Old 03-03-2007, 06:22 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

happymom28 HB User

My 5 year old has been helping me cook since she was 3. She has a lot of fun and eats healthier because she made it. She begs me to use the stove all of the time, but I tell her she is too young. She helps measure, mix, crack eggs (her faviorite!), all the "safe" stuff. I think around 7 or so they may be mature enough to listen and know the stove is dangerous, but at 4 they just don't understand fully yet. They really lack the listening skills and the attention span.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:53 AM   #15
(female)

plainjayne HB User

no she isnt!mine get as far as mixing cold cake mix they are 5 and 7 they arent allowed near the oven when im cooking. imagine if she accidently knocked the pan you would regret it then

Closed Thread