It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2007, 08:31 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Sherri-Lynne HB User
4 year old wants to know...

Hi everyone I am 17 weeks pregnant and we are all just thrilled . My problem is my 4 year old. She is so excited about being a big sister. But she wants to know how the baby gets out of my stomach. I told her that the cut the stomach open and get the baby out. I don't know if I'll have a c-section I didn't with her. But I didn't know what to say. Now she is a little scared that they will hurt the baby and me. I told her that it is safe but I really don't know what to tell her. I just think it is to early to tell her about me pushing the baby out. What should I do? How can I calm her fears? Thanks everyone for the help. Sherri

Old 03-01-2007, 12:41 AM   #2
(female)

nikki2006 HB User
Re: 4 year old wants to know...

hi sherri lynne.. My 4 year old son has asked me how he got out of my tummy and i told him very simply. the truth.. that he came out my vagina and that the doctors helped. he thought it was funny and then never asked again.

i can see why perhaps she is a little scared about them cutting you, i have had other operations on my stomach which made my son afraid despite telling him it was ok..

Maybe you can tell her that the doctors will give you special medicine which means it wont hurt when they get the baby out or that the doctors went to school for a long time so they could learn how to do it without hurting you... i think its important to keep it as close to the truth as you can.. there are books for children out there too, maybe you could find one that explains it in realllll simply terms..

i also think sometimes kids are happy with a much simpler asnwer than what we give sometimes.. like for example, my son one day said to me, "why do you stick those up you mummy"? (meaning tampons) lol he follows me to the bathroom! i said to him, "oh those are just for mummys to use" I didnt really asnwer his question but he was happy with the answer and took off to play hehe

congrats on your pregnancy, and i hope you are able to ease some of your little ones fears..it can be a nervous time for kids but dont worry, after babys born she wll see and no you are fine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2007, 06:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

happymom28 HB User
Re: 4 year old wants to know...

Congratulations!

My dd was 4 when I was pregnant with dd #2 and she was full of questions just like yours. I bought two books from the children's section of the local bookstore, they are from the same author who wrote "What to Expect when You're Expecting". I'm not sure of the exact names but they were along the lines of "what to expect when mommy's having a baby" and "what to expect when the baby comes home". They tell the truth in a way that young children understand. There are pictures that help them see exactly what is going on in your tummy. I thought they were great. I did omit the page about how the baby was conceived because she didn't ask that question. I figured only tell her what she wants to know. Maybe I'm a bit of a chicken!

Closed Thread