It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2007, 09:30 AM   #1
(female)

jbkmom2000 HB User
Question potty training problem

My daughter is almost 2. She wants to use and will always at least pee in the potty whenever I put her on it, but she will not self-initiate. She started at 16 mos wanting to use the toilet, and even then would pee any time I put her on.
She has been in cotton pants for a few weeks and when she messes herself she walks with her legs spread and will say potty or poop. I have been making her change and clean up herself in hopes that this will make her go to the potty or at least tell me before the fact so I can get her there. It's not working, and I'm getting frustrated.
Additionally, I do not use the plastic cover for the pants because if I do, she will pee and then not appear to notice. We, therefore, go through a lot of pants every day.
Any suggestions to get her to self-initiate?
Thanks

Old 03-06-2007, 11:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: potty training problem

She is VERY young yet. I don't think you can really expect her to be able to warn you.

Until she matures a little, I think that -if you want to keep her dry- you are going to have to take her on a regular basis (maybe even hourly). If you will keep her dry that way, she will probably eventually get to the point that she hates the feeling of wetness enough to be able to predict when she is going to have an accident.

Remember that many kids don't successfully potty-train until they are close to 3 so you are waaay ahead of the game. Try to be patient with her. She can't help it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2007, 11:58 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

JBK-
You know, I have to agree with index. Your daugther is still very young, but I think it's wonderful that she took an intrest so early. My daugther was basically "self" potty trained by 2 years old. She was easy.

My son, on the other hand....what a nightmare! He was almost 4 years old before finally being potty trained. I had to make him clean himself up and that, along with wearing real/cotton underwear worked for him.

Unfortunately, this is one of those things children tend to do in their own way and in their own time. I know it's frustrating for you, but trying to force it even though she initially took an intrest, may only cause you more furstration and prolong the entire process.

My only advice is to be as patient as possible, keep doing what you are doing, and maybe even add some kind of reward system? Maybe make a chart, buy some of those little fun stickers, and each time she goes on the potty on her own, allow her to put her own sticker on the chart. When she reaches a certain amount of "reward" stickers, maybe do something special with her, or take her for a happy meal- anything she likes and will think is a reward worth working towards.

Keep up the good work- your daughter will get there- I promise!

Last edited by ozzybug; 03-06-2007 at 11:59 AM.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

Do you read her potty training books for kids? There are for boys and similiar versions for girls. You can get them in any big bookstore or internet. It can give her idea what to do.
Mine is 4 year old and we still struggling with toilet training. She normally goes to toilet with special seat at home, but at night and outside she needs pull-ups.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:39 AM   #5
(female)

jbkmom2000 HB User

Hi all, and thanks.
Yesterday was a good day. I started taking her to the potty several times a day, about every hour or so. She pees everytime, even if it's only a little. And she pooped 2x on the potty. Again it was only me taking her, she never asked. She did wet herself once, but my other kids were playing a game drinking water, and she joined in (mommys fault!).
I do still use the pull ups, but only for trips out of the house and nap time. Bed time, I've been using a diaper, but may stop that. Last night she made it known she didn't want the diaper on. I'm not sure what to do about that though, because she fills it over night (she sleeps through the night). Oh well, I have extra crib sheets!
And yes, we have several potty books "the potty book for girls" is her favorite and I sometimes recite that when she is on the potty

I think I just need to chill about it.

Thanks again all.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:02 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

I'll take night diaper off only when she is basically potty trained. What happened with us, when we took night diaper off, she started peeing and pooing only in the pants. It took us a while to get at least to the level we were, when she goes at least at a daytime.

Closed Thread