It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2007, 02:03 PM   #1
(female)

missTee HB User
Red face HELP W/ 2yr boy potty training!!!

Well, I've heard that potty training boys is a lot harder than girls and I will say that after having such an easy transition from diapers to potty with my DD I will say that this has to be true! My 2 yr old son (2.3 yrs) wants NOTHING to do with potty training.However, I do know the culprit and I need advice on how to fix this issue. My dear, dear mother in law took it upon herself to make the start to potty train my son. Right before his 2nd birthday she attempted to potty train him while they were having an over night weekend...without discussing it with me first [which made me very mad...and still does when I think about it]...well, this is not the only problem...she DROPPED HIM IN THE TOILET HIS FIRST ATTEMPT!!!!! So you can see why I am angry. Now hes' afraid of the toilet. I bought a potty seat that sits ontop of the toilet to ensure him to not fall in. PLUS, I use the potty chair I had used for my daughter. How do I curb his fear of the toilet!?!? I could kill her (not really of course) for doing this!! Need help!

Last edited by missTee; 03-09-2007 at 02:04 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2007, 05:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User
Re: HELP W/ 2yr boy potty training!!!

My dd is not potty trained at 4. Same thing happened with her, my husband almost dropped her in the toilet. Anyway better start with potty not with toilet even with the special seat.
Read potty books, give little gifts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2007, 05:47 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User

After what happened I wouldn't even worry about it right now. I'd leave it be for a while. He's only 2 after all.

A lot of boys aren't trained till 3 or sometimes even later.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

I agree with Pink Piglet. What's the hurry anyway? Children will train themselves literally, usually between the ages of about 2 1/2 to 4, without any intervention from you or anyone else. My ped advised me to just encourage and let it happen on its own and it did, all three times. Our oldest DS was 3 years, one month. Our second DS was 3 years, 2 months and our DD was 2 years, 10 months. The biggest advantages are that there is no stress on anyone involved and when they are ready they usually are trained that very day.

Nancy

Old 03-09-2007, 08:47 PM   #5
(female)

missTee HB User

oh I completly agree with letting nature do its thing. Thats how I trained my daughter...I just introduced it and let her be the boss. I'm just sooo mad that she took it upon herself to do this. She gave him his first experience. (it should have been me #1 and daddy is over seas with the military so he can't set any example) She started him WAY before I was ready to start him. If she had left it be and I had done things my way, I would have just now taken the potty chair out and let him familiarize himself with what goes on. He watches me and he watches his sister...I knew it wouldn't long before he would be interested..and if not then I would still never push him. I'm in no hurry at all....My MOL is pushing it (I'm ignoring her) but I'm really frustrated withthe whole situation. He will obviously get over this fear. But is there a way to reassure he won't be dropped in? He likes to flush it.(thats good) he's interested in watching us. But if I put him on the seat even with his diaper on, just too say, "honey, your not going to fall in"....he doesn't like it. Maybe I should just leave it alone for awhile. Do you think I should put the potty chairs away for a little while? Let him maybe get over it that way??

Old 03-10-2007, 01:41 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

Why don't you start with potty instead of toilet and wait until he is comfortable with it, than move to toilet with special seat.
That is where we now at 4 y.old.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:19 AM   #7
(female)

luvmy2kids HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by missTee View Post
Maybe I should just leave it alone for awhile. Do you think I should put the potty chairs away for a little while? Let him maybe get over it that way??
Yeah, I think you should let it alone for the time being. Re-introduce it in a few months and see what's what then. In the meantime tell you MIL that it's a no-no!!

Closed Thread