It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2007, 06:37 AM   #1
(female)

matislia HB User
Unhappy Issues with 17 yo we have custody of...need help

Sorry so long...

A little background info is included:

She came to live with us at the age of 14 after an incident at home that involved the police and her removal by the state. My husband is her cousin. We found out later she'd been caught in her mom's bed with her cousin's of age boyfriend and her mom threatened to take away the phone, etc. But b/c mom was an alcoholic and drug user, kid called the cops and gave a sob story that mom hit her, etc. Came to live with us.

At first, everything was alright. Then we started hearing from the school and neighbors 'congratulations on the new arrival'. I wasn't pregnant. Found out she'd been telling people I was pregnant and she was there to take care of the child. Shortly after, I 'miscarried' by tripping on the dog and she was going to be a surrogate. Can you believe that!! Then, she began telling people I beat her, but only on the head as to not leave any marks. I never touched her. She was still under the care of the state and I contacted them. She was in therapy and I went as well. We had a joined session to go over these things. The therapist had no idea. State did a separate session and determined a group home with a structured environment is what she needed for awhile. We agreed because apparantly, we couldn't control her. She was going to a friends house but leaving to have sex with a myriad of boys as well. It was all too much.

After a year in the group home and weekend visits, she came home. We moved as well, to attempt to leave the environment we were around.

I did my best to get her into a better school in another state. She went there the first year and did better for awhile but the grades slipped still and we found out she began lying to us again, mostly about where she went, skipping school, being late (although I took her every day), etc. I told her if she didn't pick it up, I'd transfer her back. Went the next year but by the end of the first semester, she was failing two classes.

I got a promotion and was working very hard to keep a special schedule to keep her in this school and couldn't do it anymore for failing grades so tranferred her back.

She was allowed to get a job on the weekends (previously she worked as well but had access to her cell phone and money taken away because she spent $1700 in 5 months on her cell phone). She has now saved up almost $3000 but we had to make her quit her job. She is always lying. She said she was working but not and once she didn't even come home but claimed she called and never did. We confront her and give her a chance to tell the truth but for some reason she just can't tell the truth, no matter how much proof we have otherwise. She will blame everyone but herself, she claims she never does anything wrong.

It has gotten to the point now that she just sits in her room and never comes out and we can't take much more of this. We believe she is borrowing or stealing things from people and we know she is lying about her situation (which we fear for the fact we could get into serious trouble although there is no truth to her lies but who do they believe now adays?).

I've given her chores in the past, set expectations, had multiple conversations. I'm at my wits end here and don't know what to do anymore.

She will be 18 in June and is telling everyone she is moving out. She still has a year of school left. But, at this point, I don't know what to think and don't know if I even care.

I am only 34 years old, do not have children of my own, have fought very hard for this child and feel like I am at the end of my rope.

What would you do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2007, 11:52 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

LisaFaith HB User
Re: Issues with 17 yo we have custody of...need help

I really feel for you. I don't know that I have the answer, but if I were in the situation you are I would feel totally helpless and angry. It sounds as if you have done everything possible for this girl. I don't blame her for her actions though. It's obvious that she has had problems for a long time, and this is the only behavior she knows. Have you considered sending her to a boot camp sort of facility? I'm sure that a lot of people will think that is a horrible option, but it IS an option, and maybe the right one for you. Of course, since she is a ward of the state, they may not allow it. You'd have to talk to her social worker.

If she is so sure she is moving out when she is 18, maybe tell her that since she obviously doesn't respect you, or even herself for that matter, that you agree that moving out is probably the best thing for her to do. Tell her that you can no longer allow her to disrespect you.

It's really so sad though. This girl is obviously hurting, and has been for a long time. But, I think that she is at the age that she needs to start to take responsibilty for her actions, consequences and all. She needs to decide what she wants her life to be, and work towards that goal. She is old enough to understand that her behavior is inappropriate, unless she has a REAL psychological disorder. And I say REAL because a lot of times people blame poor choices on everything except themselves. Has she been diagnosed with a psych disorder? As I've been typing this, it occured to me that she may. Just a thought.

Good luck. My heart really goes out to you.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:31 AM   #3
(female)

matislia HB User

Thank you for your reply LisaFaith.

I did mean to state that we now have custody of her. We fought pretty hard for custody and was awarded it almost 1 year ago. So, she is no longer a ward of the state anymore. I've had to jump through many a hoop to get to that point and in the end it doesn't seem to have been worth it.

Also, no, she has not been diagnosed with any disorder. However, she does act a LOT younger than 17 but is facinated with babies and has been since I've known her (scary thought).

I don't excuse her actions in the least, although I do know that some of her reactions are caused by her previous history. However, she continues to place herself in situations by which lead her back to where she knows she shouldn't go.

I have had lengthy discussions regarding her future, the possibility of college, responsibilities of growing up, what her expectations are and how we can help her reach whatever goals she may have for herself. But, she has to help herself as well.

I've looked into different types of schooling, camps, etc. But, they are wayyy out of our price range (about 2 years ago, we took in my husbands sister and her 3 children as well and have been supporting them as well, we are by no means rich and are suffering greatly financially for this).

I'd have to say I'll just bide my time for the next 3-4 months and see what happens when she turns 18.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:52 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Hi Matisilia, poor girl, she has a lot of issues, multiple sex partners, lying, doesn't have a strong enough ego to take the blame. This girl had terrible parenting, she's hurting. Have you tried the understanding route?

Old 03-15-2007, 12:33 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

firenice HB User

You should be given an award! You've given a lot of yourself and it seems that there is no payoff. But, the fruits of your labors may become evident after she leaves you. Teenagers don't like to behave the way parents want them to when in the presence of parents but often do when at friends house or away from parents (except in school when they are with peers).

My suggestion is that you start to treat her like an adult. Set up natural consequences so that you expend very little energy in how those consequences occur. For example, she can earn money by doing some extra chores around the house. If she does not do them, she doesn't get paid. You don't try to get her to do them and you don't get sad or hurt if she doesn't do them. Likewise, you don't really praise her if she does, you just give her what she earned. That's the way the world works and the more you can set up a situation which is like the real world the better. You have to let go of your desire to change her behavior. She will need to see the rewards (or consequences) on her own and choose to act either way. There are lots of little things you can set up at home which offer rewards for performance. Consequences are a bit more difficult but the consequences must be as natural as possible and not put you out - otherwise it can become a payoff for the kid to act negatively just to see the parent go through all the effort to enforce the consequence.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:04 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

Are there any situations in which she accepts responsibility for her actions?Does she make up lies for attention or to devert or control attention (away from the negative things in her past or present) or does she actually believe her own lies? My ex-husband was diagnoses with what they call Borderline Personality Disorder, which is where they make up lies and actually believe that they're true (he could pass a lie detector test on the most bizarre stories he would make up to have something to scream at me about when I got home from work everyday) and truly believe that everything everyone else in their world does is directed towards them (my ex believes that I got remarried just to spite him - why would anyone in their right mind screw up their own life just to spite someone else?). Unfortunately, there is nothing they can really do about it, and a person who has it will only be in denial and insist that everyone else in the world is out to get them, so they'll never accept that they have it (again, part of the disorder). But, there are lots of things YOU can do to help manage your relationship and guide her in the right direction to minimize the negative impact on you, if she does have BPD or some other personality disorder. It could also be the age, though, and not a true personality disorder, but you may want to have her evaluated by another counselor if you suspect a true disorder, not just rebelious behavior.

Some teenagers just make up all sorts of stuff for attention or to "control" the attention and keep the focus where they want it, not on other things that may come out. It sounds like she has a lot of things in her past that she wouldn't want to discuss with just anyone, plus it could also very well be that she has a very low self-esteem from the things in her past and her mother, and making up stuff is a way to "control" how others perceive her or someohow control one piece of her world when there have been so many negative things that were beyond her control and situations where she felt helpless. I'd be willing to bet that her "serrogate" comments were to "protect" herself and try to manage the opinions ahead of time if she were to get pregnant by her sexual activities. Wrong, but creative nonetheless. It shows that she may actually understand some of the consequences of her actions, not that she's making the appropriate choices, but that she understands the possible consequences.

First and foremost, I would get her on birth control, preferrably a longer term one that she doesn't have the ability to consciously decide to take it on her own (she probably won't). Once they're sexually active, they're going to continue having sex, regardless of whether or not you forbid it. If you forbid it, it only makes it more intriguing and will only make her lie more. I know that's hard to hear, but thank God she's not 12 or 13! If she's making up stories about possibly being your serrogate, that's a clear sign she's not using condoms, so you can't trust her to protect herself. If you can't get her to think about STD's and AIDS, you can at least avoid an unwanted pregnancy and another baby that the responsibility for will fall on your shoulders. Again, I wouldn't opt for the pill since it's completely within her control and will give her the option to rebel against you. Talk to the OB/GYN about the shot or Norplant or something else longer term and take the option away from her. You clearly can't keep her from having sex, but you can talk to her about the ramifications of her actions if she chooses to and that it's important to protect herself (talk to her like she's an adult and you just want to make her aware of her options to protect herself since she's going to be sexually active, whether or not you support her decision), and the doctor can check her for STD's and reinforce your message. You can have the conversation with her that you know she's choosing to be sexually active, which is HER choice, and since she is mature enough to have sex, then she is mature enough to take responsibility for her own health and wellbeing. You can also talk to her about the importance of annual OB/GYN appointments and getting checked for things like cervical cancer and breast cancer, etc. (that are not a direct result of her actions, so you shouldn't be met with resistance on that point), and if you haven't been in a while yourself, set a good example and schedule your annual appointment for the same time (you need to go with her anyway to make sure she gets put on birth control and doesn't lie about it).

You're in a tight spot and I certainly understand your frustration and wanting to give up. If her mother was an alcoholic, she's learned that she can't rely on anyone to be true to their word and it's only a matter of time before everyone else will realize that she's not worthy of love and respect, in her mind. She's pushing you away before you can push her away. It's a very difficult situation that you're in, but if you don't give up, she may have a chance at eventually working through all of these issues and making something of herself. If you desert her too, she has no chance, but that's the "excuse" she's looking for and trying to create. It's a lot harder to own up to your responsibilities and easier to blame the world and everyone else in it for your situation, especially when you're a teenager.

Now, that doesn't make it right or any easier on you. The only thing I can really think of to even suggest is that since she's going to be 18 in a couple of months and legally responsible for her own actions at that point, why not trying to treat her like an adult and "respect" her choices, even if you don't agree with them. BUT, she can't lie about anything and has to abide by certain minimal "house rules" that are there for the protection of EVERYONE in the family, not specifically to limit HER activities. If you take away all of your "rules" she'll have no reason to lie. You have to draw the line at some things, like boyfriends spending the night (not because you forbid her to have sex, but because you are concerned about the message that will give to the little ones in your house and, if you're going to respect her as a person, she needs to respect you and your "family" as well), and no drugs or alcohol in your house (those thngs can get YOU in trouble) (if she's doing drugs, though, you need to get her into rehab quick). Other than that, she's free to make her own choices and you'll be here if she needs to talk or would like your advice and to let you know when she has figured out what she wants to ultimately do with her life and you can discuss college or whatever else you can do to help her get there - SOMEDAY (she's not thinking about the future yet, so don't force her). Try not to comment on or criticize her choices or she will rebel just to spite you. Let her know that if she breaks the few house rules that are remaining (the ones like no boyfriends spending the night, no alcohol or drugs in the house, etc. that you absolutely cannot bend on), then she understands that SHE will be CHOOSING to leave (you're not kicking her out, it's a consequence of HER actions that was set ahead of time that she will have to own up to), and that you really love her and hope that she stays (even if right now you really don't feel that way). Putting the responsibility on HER shoulders ahead of time will hopefully help her to realize that it's not YOU that is making the choice to kick her out, it's HER choice to leave if she can't abide by the house rules (again, not too many rules, just the ones that you could go to jail over or otherwise get in serious trouble or compromise the other members of the family) and that you will be sad and hurt if she makes the choice to leave. If you threaten to kick her out, she'll do everything in her power to test where exactly those limits are. If you "empower" her and keep that decision in HER court, she'll be less likely to push the envelope and see how far she'll have to go to get kicked out.

I hope this helps some, and you are also in my thoughts and prayers!

Old 03-26-2007, 10:31 AM   #7
(female)

matislia HB User

Thank you everyone for your well wishes and advice.

Last week I got a little fed up with everything and gave her a choice (kind of to the point that jmcummins3 made) of respecting us and the house while living there or she would have to find another place to live. Now, I did not mean that she would have to leave now, I was meaning all of this for when she turned 18, but didn't really let onto that.

I gave her time to think about everything and a deadline to respond to us as well. She came back and apologized for her behavior. She told us that she didn't understand why she lied about everything, that she was scared to turn 18 and didn't know the first thing about living on her own, etc. BUT, that she definitely wants to move out when she turns 18.

We told her that is fine, she can move when she is 18. But, in the meantime, she needs to contribute to the family and start acting more like a reasonable human being.

She is starting to show much more intitative and is helping out greatly around the house. She helped me so much this weekend, it was amazing.

I still worry about her going off on her own because she really doesn't know how to do anything. But, if she comes for help, I'll give it to her...other than that, there isn't much I can do, she's going to have to figure it out and I will not always be there, right?

Thanks again everyone. Alls well for the time being. June and that day of turning 18 isn't too far away. And, the sister-in-law is leaving with her 3 kids on 4/15 as well. Can you say EMPTY HOUSE??? I won't know what to do with myself. Now, if I could just get the hubby to leave for awhile, I'd be in heaven. LOL

Old 03-27-2007, 03:53 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

I'm glad things are calmer at the moment.

I have to comment on some of the things that she said that could be a critical pivoting point for her.

She shared with you that she is "scared" and "doesn't know the first thing about living on her own." That could be a BIG signal that she knows she's not ready to move out yet and is making the decision because that's what YOU want or it's the best thing for YOU, not necessarily because she thinks it's the best thing for HER. I'm sure that's not what you're telling her, but that could be how she feels anyway. I'm sure she holds A LOT of guilt for her past decisions and how she's treated the people who love and care about her. I would strongly urge you to sit down with her (when she's in a receptive mood) and reiterate that she is becoming and adult now and gets a clean slate. She is no longer held back by her past, and her present and future are dependent solely on HER choices from here on out (keep it positive and don't mention any of her choices up until this point, she has to start somewhere and take responsibility for her own decisions, it's a critical way of thinking that needs to start NOW). That's the double-edged sword of becoming an adult. No one else will make decisions for her anymore, she gets to choose what SHE wants out of life and it's important that she make choices based solely on what's best for HER, not what she thinks is best for anyone else (keep it general). You can even ask her what her reasons are for wanting to move out when she's 18 (just listen, don't be negative or patronizing). If you hear that she's moving AWAY from "negative" and not TOWARDS "positive" take the opportunity to remind her that she's free to stay until SHE'S ready to move out, it doesn't have to be dictated by a birthday. Also, talk to her about goal-setting and getting what you want out of life (you can also get her a tape on goal-setting - Zig Zigglar is a good choice). Keep it positive and "empowering."

Since she is willing to help you right now, why don't you "enlist" her help and take the opportunity to teach her how to do some of those things that she doesn't know about living on her own. You didn't mention specifics, but I assume things like budgeting, balancing her checkbook, making a dollar stretch a mile, living within her means, grocery shopping, laundry, cooking, etc. - things we could probably all use a refresher course on...LOL! Ask her what else she wants to know. She'll need to learn these things anyway for "one day" when she does move out, even if it's not when she turns 18. It could be positive bonding time that she'll treasure to remind her of how much you do care about her. I'm glad things are starting to look up for you!

Last edited by jmcummins3; 03-27-2007 at 05:40 AM.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:29 AM   #9
(female)

matislia HB User

Thanks, jmcummins3, I was planning on having just that talk, but want to wait until my SIL leaves and the house is a little bit more settled and things continue on the right path.

I do know part of the reason that she wants to move out and her decisioning is that of a teenager who feels she doesn't have enough freedom to do what she wants when she wants it. However, we've never set unrealistic rules that she couldn't abide by, she just chose not to abide by them.

When coming home from the group home, I sat and talked with her about a few things, friends, boys, going out, socializing, school, goals, etc.

First and foremost, I let her know that school was number one with me and provided that she could assert herself and do well (I'm not talking all A's but at least show effort and ask help where needed), I wouldn't have a problem.

I knew forbidding boys wouldn't work (it didn't with me) so I said she could date as long as we could meet the guy in person. Same went with friends. I didn't think this was unrealistic. However, she never brought any guy over and only two friends, so she never went/goes anywhere.

I don't completely agree with her dating habits but I'm not going to stand between what she is attracted to and my own personal opinions. As long as the boy has a good head on his shoulders, is decent, I wouldn't have a problem, but she never gave us a chance.

I know she has been dating people and continues to date people, at the old school and this new one. Her grades begin to slip whenever she begins a 'new' relationship, which is quite often and she begins to fail most classes.

It is hard to deal with a teen that is obsessed with boys to the point that there is a new one practially each week, sometimes multiple at one time.

I have had many conversations with her on what it will take to make it in the world, her long term goals, short terms goals. I've employed many strategies in the house at various times to try and ingrain the importance of thinking this way, only to have them eventually be forgotten when something new comes along. That is not all her fault, I don't always have the follow through either, but life is hectic and not always a regularly scheduled program.

We've talked about college and there was even a wonderful opportunity at the old school where if you graduated with a lowly 2.5 gpa you could get a scholarship for 2 years to a local community college, and not a bad one at that. Then, we also talked about the fact that my work would pay for her tuition if she were to want to go to college as well, but that they won't pay for grades below a C.

Also, I currently have a horse and try to ride often and was boarding locally. At one time, she was interested as well and wanted a horse. There was an opportunity for her to lease and I worked it out so she could work in exchange for riding. She could never make up her mind. She wanted to ride but not work. She doesn't go any more.

Opportunities have abounded for this girl.

I will have the conversation again but cannot relive the last 3 years.

Old 03-27-2007, 04:54 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

She clearly hasn't made good choices up until this point, despite your trying to point her in the right direction. I'm suggesting that you change YOUR strategy and direction of the conversation and give her a clean slate. Don't mention the past or current decisions in light of the past or what YOU'D prefer she do or what YOU think is the right thing for her (I'm not suggesting that you don't know what's best for her, it's just irrelevent because SHE has to decide for herself what's best for her and make her mistakes along the way). Just have the conversation that she is becoming an adult and she can choose to do/be whatever SHE sets her mind to. Keep it general, not in reference to boys, friends, college, etc. Her choices are now going to be HER choices that she needs to be responsible for and make sure they're best for her. When you're growing up, other people get to make decisions for you and you have to live with them but you also get the luxury of blaming any bad outcomes on other people. When you're an adult, you can continue the pattern of blaming other people for your lot in life or take ownership and responsibility of your future for yourself. She has a lot to overcome to get to the point of being able to take responsibility for her future, and she's not ready to do that yet. As much as you want to help her set her goals for her, you can't. SHE has to do that when SHE'S ready. What you CAN do is give her the tools to do it for herself (have you heard the saying "give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime", same concept - fro her perspective, are you giving her a fish or teaching her to fish? Keep it general and don't try to set her goals with/for her). Give her a tape on goal-setting, don't try to tell her YOUR priorities for her goals, it won't work. She has to learn to make decisions for herself because they're the best thing for HER. Telling her that YOU'D prefer she go to college and get an education doesn't lend itself to HER decision. She knows it's an option if she ever chooses to exercise it, but drop it for now or she won't go just to spite you, or she'll go for a little while to try to make YOU happy but she'll never graduate until SHE'S ready to take ownership of HER decision to go to college.

I would still encourage you to ASK her what her reasons are for wanting to move at the time she wants to move, and I'll bet you'd be surprised that it's not all about what you think. There could be some compromises that you could make to give her more freedom now that she's going to be 18 to keep her from making a big mistake. Also, you've mentioned her wanting to move "out" but you never mentioned where she's moving "in." Have you asked her what her plans are?

Old 03-29-2007, 07:54 AM   #11
(female)

matislia HB User

I understand not pushing my wants and ideals on her at the point going forward. And, I am going to try and find ways to try and help her with the little things she'll need later. I know the decisions will and should be up to her at this point. It's not easy keeping your mouth shut at times, but I'm not inserting my opinion where it shouldn't be.

We're slowly getting to the conversation, lol. It's working it's way up and I was hoping to work in where she was planning on going. However, she has a friend that got an apartment and she wrote her brother that she hopes to move in there.

She asked the other day to go to a college fair at her school (I had to sign a permission slip). When she came home she said that she looked into the military. That she would go to boot camp over the summer and that they would give her $3000 towards college and then pay for her college. I didn't discourage but suggested she make sure she knows everything, like how she'd been on reserve, could be called, etc. But, that it was totally up to her and what she decided. Also told her I thought about it when I was younger though. It's a decision and not necessarily a bad one.

I kinda giggled about thinking of her in the military. It might not be such a bad thing.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:15 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

Well, the military is AN option. I know it's hard not to put your 2 cents in, especially when you know better than she does what's best for her. If you try to bite your tongue, just listen and offer suggestions when asked for your opinion, she'll probably eventually come to the right decisions on her own and they'll be HER decisions, which is important for her. She may get re-routed along the way, but we all have to make our own mistakes and find out way in life. She knows where you stand and can weigh what you've told her she should do against the military and all of her other options. I'm so glad that things are more peaceful with her now and that you're able to have actual conversations with her where she's not shutting you out.

Closed Thread