It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2007, 08:25 AM   #1
(female)

dfroman1166 HB User
7 yr. old Anxiety

Hi'
Hoping for some suggestions. I've put a call in to a child phsycologist-but sometimes the best help is from other parents.
My daughter has been very anxious latley-4-6months . She will cry in bed at night before going to sleep. She claims that her tummy hurts. Then she will start shaking and saying she can't breathe! I'ts very distressing to me. She has a very stable and happy home. I have always thought that she had something wrong with her stomache-but just recently has her to the doctor who said that her tummy is fine.
She also gets very upset when she hears anything about sickness or death. I realize thats probably normal-but it way out of control! She saw a commercial last week that had a man singing a song about stopping smoking-he was singing through one of those artificial voice boxes. She got sooo upset she vomited. I try to console her when she's upset like this but sometimes she's so beside herself we can't seem to calm her down!
I've asked her teacher's about her behavior at school and they were shocked to learn that she was behaving this way. She's a great student and seems very secure and confident at school! I feel so helpless because it's obliviously something were doing at home.
I've tried talking to her when she's calm and asking her if theres anything frightning her and she says no.
She's always with either me or my husband-I'm a stay at home mom so she has no babysitters or after school care.
I'm at a loss! I want to help her feel better - it breaks my heart to think that she's scared of something and can't tell us!
Thank you for listening-any help or suggestions would be apprieciated!

Last edited by dfroman1166; 03-13-2007 at 08:26 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2007, 11:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User
Re: 7 yr. old Anxiety

Hi Dfroman, I just reviewed some of your previous posts. You have had a lot going on! I read about your health problems, about the vicoden, marriage, your other two posts about your daughter (eating and masturbating), your history in your own family, and your anxiety issues. Just wanted to say that this is the 3rd post about a concern with your daughter. I think the psychologist appt. would be a good idea. Would also like to say that my anxiety issues really affected my 8 year old daughter. I have really worked on my anxiety and it is in my past now but not before my daughter had to suffer from it for probably a good 6 years of her life.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:58 AM   #3
(female)

dfroman1166 HB User

Thanks Sannah
Yes...there are lots of issues. We try very hard to keep the nasty things from our children but I'm sure there feeling some of the stress.
I've just finished a phone consult with the doctor. She has told me that lots of her anxiety is due to my many medical issues. I've also had many abdominal surgery's over the last 3 years in addition to what you have read recently. She seems to get these anxiety attacks in relation to anything to do with illness or death-so thats definitly an issue.
The therapist said that during the ages of 3-8 is the key time for them to learn about illnesses and that parents do get sick and grandparents,parents,pets do die. She thinks that she may be behaving this way because she is afraid that I may die or become so ill I will not be able to care for her.
I never really related the eating/masterbating issues with this but I'm sure they're all related to anxiety-thank you for pointing that out! By the way- she's stopped the weird eating habits and I'm sure she still masterbates ,but I haven't caught her doing it in inappropriate places.
I do have a lot going on in my life right now but am trying to get it all together.
Thanks again,
Dee

Old 03-14-2007, 01:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Dfroman, makes sense to me. Children pick up on our problems, stresses and anxieties so easily without even saying a word to them about it. I am glad that you are getting her some help for her. Good luck!

Closed Thread