It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2007, 04:21 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User
How to make her eat frutis and veggie?

My 4 year old doesn't like veggie and rarely eats fruits. Now she had constipation problem. I don't know how to force her. She is also very concervative, she won't even try new dish.

Old 03-17-2007, 08:27 PM   #2
(female)

Skinamarinka HB User
Re: How to make her eat frutis and veggie?

Hi galinaqt,
Of course the fiber of fruits and veggies help, but they aren't necessary. You may want to consider probiotics to regulate her digestion. That is really the source of constipation. But for where she is at now, you can relieve it with magnesium (try putting it in a little tea or in a smoothie) or a little xylitol (a naturally occuring sugar alcohol from trees - our bodies produce it as well). You may try introducing veggies in muffins, like carrot and zuccini, and fruits as juice/smoothies/sorbet. Also remember that presentation can go a long way. Forcing will only bring resentment, and even if it works in the short term it will not in the long run. Try being creative and make it fun. Part of it may be that if she isn't digesting it well because of lack of beneficial bacteria then her body is resistant to it.
My daughter is a picky eater, however, things she did not like before she has come to like. Keep introducing the foods and talk to your child about nutrition. Why fruit and vegetables are important, etc. Important vitamins, strength, so the body works well...
Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2007, 08:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Hi Galinaqt, have a fruit/vegie picnic with her. Have her help you prepare a nice plate of these and sit with her somewhere to eat them. She will really be all excited over helping to create this and then share it with you. She will also be more likely to eat this if she is hungry. We feed our kids most of their fruits and vegies between 3 - 5 PM.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:17 AM   #4
(female)

nikki2006 HB User

Hi,

i got a coule of suggestions for you..

Make it fun! make faces using fruits and vegies... u could use sliced apple for a mouth an orange ring for nose, carrot sticks for eyebrows etc..

secondly.. ive found kids will eat ANYTHING when they are hungry.. to make sure my 4 yeaer old gets his fruits and vegies i dont let him snack on biscuts etc, instead if hes hugry between meals he gets to choose between apple banana or orange.. if hes hungry enuff, he'll eat it, if not, he is certainly hungry by time the next meal comes round, for example lunch so then for lunch i add a peice of fruit in there if he hasnt had it before hand.. as for vegtables.. i have a rule.. if its somthing my boy doesnt like he only has to eat a small amount, i put more on his plate than i know he will eat, then i tell him he only has to eat a small amount of it.. that way, he thinks hes getting a bargin becasue he doesnt have to eat it all!

at times i have problems getting my son to try new foods too, so the deal is, he tries his dinner, and if i can see he really really is struggling i will let him off with just a little bit, and give him something else, but if its a put on and he is refusing to eat for the sake of it, he gets an altimatium, "eat your dinner or its bedtime"..

In the end, kids will eat when they are hungry, they will NOT starve, not even if u take it away and dont replace it.. they will so eat what they are told if they are hungry..

perhaps make you daughter go hungry, i dont mean refuse to give her food, but offer her fruit for a snack if she says she doesnt want it, then take it away but dont offer anything in its place.. then, the next time she says shes hungry offer her the same, she may refuse a few times but dont worry, hunger will take over and she will eat! and,, she will probably discover that fruit and vegies are actually not as bad as she thought!

remember, you are the adult and its ur job to set up good eating habbits for her.. you are the one that puts the food on the table and you get to decide what types of food you allow her to eat..

good luck to ya!

take care!

Old 03-20-2007, 04:18 PM   #5
(female)

confrustrated HB User

Try putting out a plate of orange slices, carrot sticks, strawberries, grapes, etc. Leave it on a table where she can easily get to it so she sees it. Offer it to her once and then just let her find it on her own. You know the saying, "out of sight, out of mind" so the opposite should be true too right?? Don't make a big fuss about it and just keep offering fruits and veggies!!
Good Luck!!

Old 04-10-2007, 04:56 PM   #6
(female)

jessparm HB User

At our home we do adventure bites. They have to try one bite. No ifs ands or buts!! if they don't like it, they can go to the restroom and spit it out. We have done this for ever with my stepson, and he is now soon turning eight. Not sure if this would work since she four....

Closed Thread