It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2007, 09:27 AM   #1
(female)

chester1984 HB User
eating problems with 5 yr old

i have 5 yr old son who only eats pizza, bread, cerial, and sweets im worried. He looks normal weight but every time i try to give him something healthy or any thing other than pizza he has a screamig tantrum n just wont eat any suggestions or any one going through same.

Last edited by chester1984; 03-26-2007 at 09:29 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2007, 10:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User
Re: eating problems with 5 yr old

Your 5 yr old has learned how to get exactly what he wants. Are you going to continue to let him call the shots? He certainly cannot understand what is best for him, only a parent can.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2007, 10:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

I have similiar problems with 4 year old. I am attending pep class. People suggest me to secretly mixed vegetables with other stuff. For example, take a can of baby squash and mix it with mac and cheese, If dish has red souce you can cut vegetables real thing and add to it. Kid will get what he needs without knowing it.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:44 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User

Do not let your 5 yr old run the household. Yes you may have to put up with tantrums but put him in his room and let him scream. Once he's hungry he'll eat what's put in front of him.

Pizza and sweets are not healthy food to be constantly feeding a child. You need to take control and put a stop to it.

You don't need to fight over it but if he won't eat what's in front of him then he doesnt' eat. No fight, no fuss but also no food. If you stick to your guns then he'll soon get the point.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:06 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User

You are the one with the shopping list. Ooops, no pizza, only this. Put the good stuff there for him. If he doesn't eat it, tip it out and then he waits til his next regular eating time. No arguments, no fussing, no blame or naughty boying. It should not be a discipline thing or a battle of wits. Give him access to healthy grazing, eg, sultanas, banana slices, cheese sticks, etc etc between meals. Good luck.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:54 PM   #6
(female)

jillr HB User

Who's the parent in your house? Cook a healthy meal and put it in front of him. Tell him this is supper. No pizza or sweets. Don't buy him sweets. Buy fruit. If you don't get strict with him now, he will become an obese child and develop diabetes. You need to take charge and take good care of your kid by feeding him appropriate food.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:17 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

Trick which works with mine dd: You don't have to eat everything (salad) eat just a little bit. Sometimes she likes it and eat much more or at least some.

Closed Thread