It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2007, 12:36 PM   #1
(female)

roberta1227 HB User
7 1/2 yr old son misbehaving

Help!

my 7 1/2 yr old son, whos in 2nd grade is getting in trouble at school. he is not listening and getting in trouble by being silly, and going for the laughs. It is getting progressivly worse and I do not know how to handle the situation. Last week i got a phone call from teacher, and today he is in the principals office.He is not being mean, but following the trouble makers. he is a smart boy, but one of the youngest. We have threatned with spanking if any more problems arose, and now hes at the principals office. Today there was a field trip and him and 8 others kids were "rowdy, bad, and embarassing". I do not know what to use as punishment. I dont really want to spank, but I want something BIG to let him see the point. I already told him that when he came home he was going to write letters to the teachers, but I want him to know that he cant be doing the things hes doing. HELP!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2007, 12:38 PM   #2
(female)

roberta1227 HB User
Re: 7 1/2 yr old son misbehaving

I have taken away tv, video games, fun in the past, but he still is getting in trouble!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2007, 02:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

I just finished parenting encouragement program 1, which deals a lot with problems like that. We read the book "Children the challenge".
May be you need to attend something like that in your area. Unfortinatelly it requires a lot of effort. Some things I remembered is family meetings, special times with kids, positive attitude.
May be you should enroll yourself in similiar program.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:55 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User

Any chance he was getting teased and is now following the trouble makers so that he won't be teased? Being the youngest was he smaller then the others?

Have you asked him why he does these things?

How long were the TV, etc taken away? Was it just for a weekend or has it been taken away until the behaviour improves?

Sorry I know a lot of questions but just trying to sort it out. Kids can act out for so many different reasons.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:39 AM   #5
(female)

roberta1227 HB User

He is one of the taller kids in the class, and I havent seen any teasing. I notice that he is draw towards the older trouble making kids.
I have taken away tv/video for periods of time as punishment.
we talked about punishment last night, and after writing numerous apology letters, he will on dog poop detail for 2 weeks.
He recieved no spanking.
I just want him to want to do the right thing. He is a smart boy, but im afraid if he continues his behavior that he will wind up being labled, and in bigger trouble.
We have some older juvinile delinquets in the family tree, and I am petrified that he will follow their path.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:47 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Hi Roberta, I would investigate more fully why he is doing this. If he is a follower he needs to find his own direction. If he is doing this to fit in he needs to understand his worth better (increase his self-worth). I don't think that punishment will change it as much as understanding what needs he is trying to meet by doing it.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:58 AM   #7
(female)

jessparm HB User

My step son pulled that crap awhile back, also in second grade. WE made him write apology letters to everyone that was involved. Even teachers and principals. We also took away his dirt bike for a month. He lsot TV privleges for five full days. He was to offer to stay in from recess to make up for what he had done and to offer to do extra chores around the house. He was mortified that he had dissappointed us. He told us he didn't deserve recess for the rest of the school year and that he only wanted bread and water for a month. Funny, I know, but I was like, kid where are you getting this stuff from. The situation was that he had found some sort of pencil gripper on a classmates desk and took it, and then lied about it!!!!! So unlike him, but yet he did it. Hasn't lied since and still talks about how bad of a decision he made. Does your son write apology letters? and have to face the teacher or adult that he misbehaved with? For my step son, that is the worst, to have to face the teacher and read an apology letter. He was crying. He had to read two, one to each teacher and then one to the friend whose pencil gripper he had stolen. I feel that making them stand up and admit to the adult what happened really made him be held accountable for his actions. And by God I don't think that he'll ever steal anything again.

Closed Thread