It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2007, 07:34 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User
Nighttime potty training- 4 year old!

My son has been 100% daytime potty trained for almost a year now. He will be 4 in July, but he still wears a diaper to bed. Even during his (rare nowdays) naps, he wears his underwear and we've had no accidents. At night he will stay dry for hours, sometimes get up and go to the potty, sometimes not. Either way (usually it's closer to the morning hours) he goes. And he goes BIG time. There have been times that he has woken up dry and gone potty in the wee hours of the morning, so I tried him in underwear. Big mistake. LOL.

The thing is, I've taken a very mild approach to this, thinking that his body isn't ready to go all night yet. I have, however, had people pressuring me to get him "night trained," telling me to wake him up every so often to force him to go, etc. That just seems cruel to me because we all know how kids need their sleep. So i just put him in a diaper and call it a night. If he wakes up dry and goes, he gets praised. If he soaks his diaper, we don't say a word.

Believe it or not, DH has been a huge proponent of this approach because (I can't tell other people this. LOL) He occasionally wet the bed until he was 8-9. Since Cal is built exactly like him and they have the same body type, I'm inclined to think that this is a purely physiological issue. His bladder just isn't big enough to hold for that long. We have tried limiting his fluid intake near bedtime, but the results don't vary much.

Am I doing the right thing here? Am I scarring him for life or being lazy just giving him the diaper at night? He never poops at night. I am a firm believer in firm discipline where discipline is due, but this seems to me like nothing he has control over. Other people beg to differ, and of course, I'm always second guessing myself. Any similar experiences and advice? He asks for his diaper at night, and the few times he has wanted to be a "Big Boy" and sleep in his underwear, he wets the bed and gets SOOOOO upset. He cries "Sorry mommy, I peed...." though we have never given him any reason to think we'd be mad. I think it's harder on him psycologically to wake up in his own urine than it is to give him a diaper.

Am I being a good mom, or as suggested by other mothers, a lazy one?
DD born 3/24/2005

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2007, 11:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User
Re: Nighttime potty training- 4 year old!

Siren my daughter couldn't stay dry at night until she was six and her bladder grew bigger. She couldn't wear a pull-up at night because the urine irritated her skin so I had to wake her up everynight so that she could use the bathroom. Her small bladder was nothing that we could do anything about. I wouldn't feel bad about putting him in a diaper so that he doesn't wake up in a wet bed. Wet beds are a lot of work!

Old 04-20-2007, 07:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

I never even attempted to take our three out of pull ups at night until they started kindergarten. Don't sweat it. I know your husband is thinking of what he went through, but that doesn't mean it will happen with your children necessarily. Most children are not nighttime trained before the age of 4 and many are closer to 6 before that happens. Its no big deal at all.

Nancy

Old 04-21-2007, 05:36 PM   #4
(female)

jillr HB User

My daughter is 7 and still wears a pull up to bed every night and wakes up wet every morning....frustrates me to no end. Her pediatrician says there's nothing wrong and there's nothing we can do about it. She did say that if dd is still wetting when she's old enough to swallow a pill and wetting bothers her, she will prescribe something for her.

Closed Thread