It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2007, 01:04 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User
driving me insane

BIG SIGH...So 4 months or so ago my oldest daughter came home from school with head lice.I did all the stuff went and got the RID treatments ,sprayed and vacuumed furniture and carpets and matresses and vehicles.Washed all the bedding,all clothes that were on floors,or could of came in contact with anyones heads,combed and combed and combed some more.I did this almost daily for 3 weeks including one more treatment on everyone and a thrid treatment on my daughter only at the end of the three weeks.So I beat them yay what a major mega relief that was.This was our first time ever with head lice.I have 5 kids too by the way plus myself and my husband.This was also over the christmas holidays so yeah it was sooooooo depressing and frustrating.ANYWHO here we go again...my daughter came home last week from school with a note telling me she has head lice ARGH! I wanted to fall on the floor and cry right then.So instead I started the same ordeal this time RID did absolutely NOTHING when i got any bugs off after the treatment they just moved right along like normal.SO went and got some stuff from our doctor which I found out was basically the same dang thing as NIX well this seemed to work a bit better then the next day im on oldest daughters head combing and well found a few live bugs ugh.So i have been doing the cleaning house vacuuming and all the stuff I mentioned above combing all heads blah blah.Well nothing had been spotted in my own hair the whole time UNTIL today I was combing my own hair and found nits meanwhile all my kids heads now seem good.So I am confussed this go round.Also I do not think the school checks enough seems like its constant since the 4 or 5 months ago and then ya have parents who do not inform the school when their child gets the lice ugh.I talked with the school nurse and I am just appaled really she claims the school has the tuffest policy on head lice in this county yet most times they do not even send the infested child home?? When you are notfied of your child having headlice you only get that day and the following day to treat and your child MUST return to school ,nurse checks,unless you have a doctors note which I did get a doctors note for two days for my daughter.Anyway, I am just obviously frustrated,disgusted,annoyed and dont know what the heck to do.My three kids who are in school have been back in this week and im just scared we wont ever get rid of this crap.The nurse told me the state itself is about to make it where when a child is found to have headlice in school the nurse CANNOT send that child home because it is of no health threat it is a lifesyle thing! I dont get it when I was a kid lice kind hard of to rid of but no where near as it is today ,because they are now resistent to alot of the treatments, yet the lice policy weakens?? I cannot afford to go through this every few months buying stuff to help rid of the junk and also my electric and water bills are high enough well add having to do all this and they are just insane.I am just venting I guess but also if anyone has any sugesstions ,experiance with crap please share

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2007, 02:47 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

theycallmemom HB User
Re: driving me insane

I have 5 too, and when they were younger seems if anyone in the school got lice, my kids did too - what worked best for me was after applyng the RID, put a shower cap on, and as long as there is a bug or egg found on the kids head, have him/her wear shower cap all the time. Also washing bedding and all clothes and what not - very important! you can get RID spray (or the Walmart equvilent) and spray mattresses and pillows, carpets and furnature too. Also ave you ever heard of the robi comb - if you can find one, try it, works on the live ones real well

Old 04-25-2007, 04:40 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User

We found the expensive lice stuff did nothing! We fought lice for a long time here too. However, someone told us to buy the cheapest conditioner we could and us it instead.

Put hair conditioner on thickly and put a hair net over it. Leave it on for at least 1/2 hour if not longer. Then rinse out. I think we did that morning and night for quite a while. Because lice can't swim they drown in the thick conditioner.

It was a whole lot cheaper. Now everytime she washes her hair she uses conditioner and leaves it on for at least 5 minutes. We haven't had lice since.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:17 PM   #4
(female)

tigerlilyx61 HB User

Hello. I have dealt with issue with 2 of my three daughters so I feel as though I am somewhat of an expert on this subject. When my oldest daughter got it in first grade I followed the manufactures directions for applying the shampoo. I also did all the washing, vacuuming, spraying, etc. She ended up getting reinfested so the second time I treated everyone in the house. My third daughter had not been born yet but everyone in the house had it except my husband. I treated everyone initially at the same time and then retreated one week later. I also was very thorough about picking nits out of the hair. We would spend hours doing this. My oldest daughter fell asleep one night while I was doing it I washed evrything I could and what I couldn't I bagged for 2 weeks. I also did A LOT of reading up on this online and from some of the stuff I was reading I decided not to use the spray. Apparently it doesn't really work. Also vacuum, vacuum, and vacuum some more. Wash everything in HOT water and dry on HIGH heat and as I said if you can't, then bag it. Be vigilant with picking the nits out. We usually had at least 3 nit picking sessions every day for EACH person. So remember wash everyone's hair at the SAME time and RETREAT EVERYONE again in 7 days. Good luck. I feel your pain. It's a lot of work, time and money.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:37 PM   #5
(female)

jcinsbca HB User

Oh my gosh you have no idea how much I can empathize with you! I feel like I have what must be termed "post-traumatic lice syndrome" I am NOT kidding. I am a single mom with only one child (a daughter) but we have been going through absolute hell the past 3 weeks. First off, she had (past tense as I had to cut it short) waist length hair that was very beautiful. I spent HOURS combing through all of that hair for a week trying to get every single last nit out of her hair because if you leave even one, it can start another round of infestation. I washed and washed and vacuumed and swept and mopped and went insane cleaning and broke replacing items. My friends stayed away because they were afraid to get it, so invision doing all of this work while trying to work full time and feeling totally abandoned and alone...ostracized is more like it.

Anyway, I totally feel your pain more than you know. I have this terrible fear that it will never go away. I feel like I have to live my life around this gross and annoying parasite because they happen to like my daughters head! I also cannot describe to you the utter fear that I feel everytime I go through my daughter's hair looking to see if she has lice or not. My heart is in my throat and I feel like I'm going to throw up or something. Is there any way to make sure that your child never gets this again? There should be a support group for this!!!

Old 04-25-2007, 05:51 PM   #6
(female)

k_c_lady HB User

My son got lice from daycare last year. I didn't catch it in time and we all had it! My husband and son were treated, and it worked perfectly. But not for me! I tried everything! I had very thick, long, curly hair. The only thing that got rid of it was going to the doctor (for the second time) gets 2 big bottles, and using it daily on myself for about a week or so. I would want to cry if my son got it again too! I had it for about 6 months, yet the boys never got it again. So odd. Good luck! Kiesha

Old 04-26-2007, 02:51 AM   #7
(female)

tigerlilyx61 HB User

Some people recommend tea tree oil shampoo to keep lice away. Something else I wanted to mention...when my youngest daughter got it I sat down with her and talked about how lice get from one person to another. Most, if not all, transmisssion occurs from direct head to head contact. I told her to try to be careful around her classmates. When she was playing with them to be careful about how close her head came to the person she was playing with because if her head got too close the lice would move/jump from her friend's hair to her hair. She said something to the effect that she thought they had to crawl down the person's body and acroos the floor to get to another person's head. I also told her, and I know some may think this is mean, but I had already gone through this twice before with my older daughter, to stay away from the girl who gave it to her. I also picked nits with my fingers. I never had much luck with the combs. Did you hear they are coming out with a new invention that is like a hair dryer that kills lice? Don't know when though.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:49 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

Gosh isnt it terrible.Now we have a virus on top of this going around ugh lol.Same thing happened Christmas holidays we got lice then a virus.I am now feeling somewhat better so I am back to cleaning and picking some heads.My oldest daughter is sick in bed.I believe what I am going to do is do what I can while this virus is round and do yet another treatment on everyone next week and comb to be (hopefully) sure.To the one that said there should be support groups for this crap I agree lol when I found out my daughter had it again I wanted to fall to the floor crying.Also someone mentioned just gettin cheap conditioner etc. I may try that the treatments do really add up and I hate putting the stuff on my kids heads.I actually do have a bottle of Lindane (Kwell) a friend gave to me but I will not use it other then a last resort.I read online about that stuff and it scares the heck out of me.Anyway,thanks so much for all the replies maybe one day this nasty pest will be gone for us all for good.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:06 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

cleansweap HB Usercleansweap HB Usercleansweap HB Usercleansweap HB User

I'm curious, and can't help but ask a question or two. If anyone of you can answer , I would appreciate it. First, what causes lice in a childs hair? Second, why is a human scalp a favorite breeding ground for lice? I'm assuming from what I've heard in the past, that children with soiled/dirty hair attracts lice. This may be true, but from what everyone is saying, the lice doesn't care if your hair is clean or dirty. So, I guess I'm back to my original question.

Old 04-30-2007, 05:08 PM   #10
(female)

tetianainto HB User

Hi, I think that lice are parasites and they feed off of human heads/scalps....they can't survive without humans for too long. I think that live lice can live for up to 48 hours on carpets, bedding etc.

Anyways, I've had the lice problem with my daughter. I have two product recommendations that really helped us: the "Nit Free" comb and "Resultz". The comb is excellent and will take out lice and nits. Lather the hair with conditioner and use the comb to comb through the hair in all directions. Use a paper towel to wipe the comb and you can see the lice and the nits. We use it in the shower just to follow up once a week just in case there is a leftover nit hanging around.....

The second product is called Resultz (it's pretty new). You put it on the scalp for 10 minutes and then rinse it off; it kills the live ones. I found with olive oil and vinegar mixtures (with a shower cap), you need to keep it on the head for about 4 hours and my daughter used to go crazy waiting to get it off....with Resultz, it works in a much shorter time, and pretty effectively.

The comb is key to getting rid of the nits. It's very good. The teeth are very close together and pull the nits off the hair shaft.

Anyways, having lice in the house a big hassle. Hope these suggestions help. c

Old 05-15-2007, 09:14 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

sem627 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleansweap View Post
I'm curious, and can't help but ask a question or two. If anyone of you can answer , I would appreciate it. First, what causes lice in a childs hair? Second, why is a human scalp a favorite breeding ground for lice? I'm assuming from what I've heard in the past, that children with soiled/dirty hair attracts lice. This may be true, but from what everyone is saying, the lice doesn't care if your hair is clean or dirty. So, I guess I'm back to my original question.
Actually, that's a misconception that lice like dirty hair. It's the opposite; they like clean hair best. If they hair is dirty they have a more difficult time attaching to the hair shaft.

Children are more likely to get it because they have much closer contact with others. They also often share hats, combs, etc.

My daughter had lice last year and it was horrible. I cried when when we had to clean again after I found a nit in my hair two weeks later. Don't forget to wash/vacuum the backpack and the car as well. Some people forget those two and reinfest.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:05 AM   #12
(female)

lzing2 HB User

Insane might be putting it mildly....lol.

Christmas time 2 years ago was when they decided to visit my step daughter head, then my son and then mine! I was sure during that time I was headed for a mental institution! I will never forget it!
The "lice miseter" a comb approx cost $30 with metal teeth and a tip I learned online...a combing schedule (keys days to comb) a 17 day program was the only thing that rid it for us.

All the chemicals etc are useless....the key is to just get rid of them and this combing schedule really made sense.

In fact we all have combs now in our house and because I travel alot with work and stay in alot of hotels(often the best hotels are the worst)even airline seats are breeding grounds.... I use it faithfully, it gives me peace of mind that I don't have them....

This comb is the best on the market...your not alone in your frustration and tears.....it is a menace.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:35 PM   #13
(female)

dixiepeep HB User

I am heading to the drugstore to get all of the stuff I can find to attack this little monster. I have to take a day off of work just to clean everything or else I will go insane with fear. I can't stand those freaky things. I agree we should form a support group for this. This is awefull.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:28 PM   #14
(female)

Lotty667 HB UserLotty667 HB UserLotty667 HB User

Lice hate hairspray. After you get all the nits and live lice gone, spray your childs hair with hairspray before they go to school each day. It is not fullproof, but I have found it extremely helpful.

I went through this on and off for almost two years and thought I would go out of my mind. Since I started using the hairspray, we have not had a reinfestation.

Hope this helps.

Closed Thread